What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - londoncardriver

Hi

I am looking for a car that must have an engine no greater than 1.5. A medium size car, for going on distance trips with passengers in the front and back. But not huge, because I like to be able to actually park it sometimes. I am a man in my 20's and it should not have a "grandma" style to it.

So far I was thinking about a Toyota (avenis) or a Vauxhall (Astra?)... anything really as long as it's a good car. I don't mind if it's 10 years old.

Ideas, recommendations? Any tips on what the best in the class might be?

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - Armstrong Sid

This subject comes up every few weeks, and the answer is still the same.

Reputation of brand means nothing at that price range. It will be down to the individual model you chose to look at, and whether that particular car has been well looked after. It will probably be on its second set of everything if it has been treated fairly well, and you will need to make sure you (or a friend) know what to look for when you check the thing over.

You say you don't mind if it's 10 years old.....I'd be surprised if you can find anything under £1000 which is newer than 10 years

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - unthrottled

This subject comes up every few weeks, and the answer is still the same

Along with: "How do I make a convince a dealer to give me lots of money for my unfashionable petrol that I want to part/ex for a fashionable diesel?"

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - gordonbennet

Avensis won't come with an engine 1.5 or under anyway, Corolla could be a good bet but they are known as long lived cars so get bought by people who neglect them.

Korean cars would probably be as good as any, many to choose from and usually very reliable, the stigma of owning an older one means they go for peanuts.

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - londoncardriver

Thanks.

I would appreciate just some names to search for because at the moment I am having trouble finding engines of that size on proper sized cars.

You don't want a small engine in a 'proper' sized car-it will feel gutless to drive and if you have to thrash it, it could turn in worse fuel economy than a larger engine.

Forget any preconceptions about 'grandma' cars. With a tiny budget and probably insurance premium concerns, you'll be lucky to get a car that can be put on the road and trundle on for a year. To get a 'bargain' you'll need to look at unfashionable cars:

Nissan Almera 1.5

vauxhall Astra 1.4

Hyundai Pony

Renault Megane 1.4/1.6e

The latter one is a good tip. The 1.6 8V is cheaper to insure than a lot of 1.4 16V cars and the extra mid range torque is more help to you than high RPM power. It'll turn in over 40 to a gallon to if you're careful.

You can get an old full size car with a big engine for less than a small car with a small engine-but you'll need a lot of no claims to make that bangernomics work.

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - gordonbennet

Kia Rio and Mentor and Shuma, Hyundai Accent, Proton Compact and Persona...nothing exciting i'm afraid.

I assume you are wanting a 1.5 maximum engine for cheaper road tax, understandable, but in your budget you are missing out on the much better 1.6 engined cars such as Hyundai Lantra.

Gordon-good point about the road tax.

Of course, a 1.5 engine has half the emissions of a 1.6 so should pay half road tax. An environmental gesture. Not a tax grab. Not at all!

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - Big John

I've been running a Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v for the past 10years or so. In my view doesn't look tooo "grandma" ish (in silver). It is economical and has very low insurance and despite the small engine in a medium sized car have found the real-life performance surprisingly OK. I bought it as a cheap/reliable commute car but have also used it to tour Europe (including Italy and Spain). The only down side is it prefers higher octane petrol (runs better + higher mpg but more expensive) and the cambelts & tensioners need changing every 40k/4years. Not popular used as a 1.4 as people think it will be underpowered (try one) so you may be able to buy one cheap.

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - richardcroft

Strongly suggest you avoid the Megane, not only my thoughts but the RAC man I was talking to at the weekend. I had a Toyota Corolla and it was extremely reliable. There seem to be lots under £1000 but make sure there's evidence the owner has looked after it, e.g. receipts to show its been serviced.

or one of these http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201115384810646/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/seller-type/private_adverts/model/focus/make/ford/postcode/pl210we/page/3/radius/1500?logcode=p

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - SteveLee

Rover 45s can be quite a bargain, well screwed together, pretty reliable and the 1.4 K-Series is very, very efficient in terms of performance and fuel economy. Head gasket scares keep the prices rock bottom - however, if it's lasted this long, chances are it'll be fine - just don't let the coolant level run low!

In this price bracket it really is a game of chance unless you really know what you're doing, there are plenty of cars out there that are no better than scrap for three times the price.

Citroën Xsara 1.4s are pretty reliable and fine on the motorway.

But my choice would be a well looked after low mileage Mazda 323 1.5 - plenty about for a grand - it'll out-live you!

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - jamie745

I agree with comments above, in this price bracket the reputation or reviews of specific brands means nothing. Ive had people come to me and ask "is a VW Polo a good used buy?" and the fact is its impossible to tell, theres no right or wrong. What you do is you check out the cars thoroughly yourself, drive it, inspect it, if it has history with it then read it, make sure everything tallies and make a decision. The dealer is irrelivant, its not like you'll get warranties for cars of that price so ignore the dealer and just focus on the car.

And until the last couple of years i only ever bought cheap cars and it is perfectly possible to get a good cheap reliable used car for less than £1000, theres no reason why that cant be done. A couple of years ago a friend of mien at work needed a car quickly and he needed it cheap, and ended up with a 10 year old Daewoo Nubira, some dents and scuffs but low mileage and a full MOT and he's still got it today and has gone through 2 MOT's without problems and he paid £550 for it (including buying tax on the day). The car is less than inspiring but it goes and stops and causes no problems.

My mk1 Mondeo cost me just under £700 and it was four different shades of blue and was possibly even overpriced at that, but it went for three years trouble free.

Everybody knows a horror story of someone who bought a cheap used car, but there are good ones too.

At your price I'd give car dealers a miss and buy privately. Poverty specification is best so less to go wrong. Most cars even at this price level will have airbag and power steering. As mentioned above eastern cars from Korea and Japan which have been well looked after should serve you well.

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - bear807
Go look for the skoda felica, you will be surprise how well maintain this car is, because most of them own by oldies, any many of them are low milage. Forgot about the looks, think Practical. 3 years ago my fd brought one for 500 pounds, is bloodily like new car inside out, do a 10k milage on it and sell it at 40k miles and guess what he earn 200 pounds by selling it!
Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - Glenn 42

Surprised no one has mentioned the SEAT Cordba, the booted version of the Ibiza that never really took off but is an excellent car in diesel form and should be easy to find for a grand. The 1.9 TDI is capable of 55 mpg and will cruise happily on the motorway and if it has been serviced correctly, the engine will outlive the rest of the car. Build quality can be a bit below par, but the mechanicals are unburstable.

Recommendation needed, budget £1,000 - colinh
Given your budget you may find the following of interest:

"That's bad enough, but it's worse for those buying third party, fire and theft (TPFT) cover because these policies rose by an average 60 per cent over the same 12-month period, from £980.84 to £1,565.61. Bizarrely, countless TPFT motorists (those who fall into what AA Insurance describes as "shoparound" customers) saw their premiums rocket by 82 per cent from £845.04 to £1,538.62 per annum."

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/mike-ruthe...l