What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Potholes - Ethan Edwards

I have a bit of a hobby. I'm a potholer. Not the strenuous kind just the lumpy kind.

I spot and report potholes. You too can join in this exciting 'sport' from the comfort of your own vehicle.

www.fixmystreet.com

It's easy, free and quick. If your persistent you do get results. From my experience it takes Essex CC about 8 weeks to (very shoddily) fix them, but you are helping others. So I urge you..report several today and make the b*****s work for the cash they take from us motorists.

Cheers.

Any - Potholes - turbo11

I report potholes to our council (Oxfordshire) through their website. Last year I reported approx 20. They are fairly quick to mark them, but very slow to fill. Most are filled within 3-6 months, some within a half a mile of my house took over a year to be filled(badly as usual) and some have been re-marked, as after a year the paint around them has worn off. Some of the potholes that were repaired last summer, are now opening up again. Many of the roads near me, require complete resurfacing. This luxury is only carried out in the towns, not the rural roads I drive on. This is despite the high traffic volumes that these roads carry.All in all, pretty disgraceful.

Any - Potholes - Andy P

I used that site to report a large cavern in Widnes - it was filled in within a matter of days. However, I just wonder how long the repair will last - they always appear to be a bit slapdash.

Any - Potholes - bathtub tom

I use the fixmystreet site, purely because if a hole's reported and it subsequently causes damage, then there's a good chance of compensation being paid, I understand.

Reporting to the council directly doesn't make the report visible to the general public.

Any - Potholes - Armstrong Sid

Always seems to me that most potholes are ultimately caused by utility companies who dig the road up for whatever reason, and then leave it in a very poor condition with a very primitive level of tidying up after they've gone.

Road surfaces might be better If councils and authorities forced the gas/electricity/water companies to ensure that when they carry out any work, the road is left in a good condition and not just "repaired" by throwing a bit of tarmac and a few pebbles onto the hole which was dug. Then the "repair" won't start falling to pieces a few weeks later. They seem to be able to get away with non-existent standards of workmanship.

How often have we all seen a recently rersurfaced road which as been ruined a few weeks later by gas/water who come to make their mark on it.