What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
audi S3 black edition(2011) manual - your Audi S3 road test - griffman500

Hi John

as a result of your road test of this car we looked at buying one to replace my wife's 2007 TT3.2 V6.

I Honestly can't thank you enough - It has all the benefits of the Quattro TT without any of the drawbacks.

It's quiet, comfortable, supremely well equipped(sat nav, leather, heated seats, bluetooth and ipod are all standard for the 2011 model year).26mpg is great too!

The price was 30k(list £32095) with a bit of discount and a couple of extras - a Golf R to the same spec would have been over 36k.

The performance is quite frankly astounding for the price - as you recommended we only run it on V-power and it seems to be getting faster and faster as the engine loosens - the current A3 is due to be replaced next year and they now do a 40k RS version - my audi dealer(who has driven one ) tells me it's not as good as the S3 as it's only marginally quicker and the ride is awful - also it's auto only.

It looks great in white with the standard titanium alloys - the boys in my daughter's class voted it the coolest car at the school(M5's, GTRs Range Rovers and others costing twice as much notwithstanding).

Is this the best car you can buy for the money? I think it is - get yourself one before they stop making them.

audi S3 black edition(2011) manual - your Audi S3 road test - Collos25

Look on Autobild web site this week it features along with other manufacturers the complete new range of Audi models.

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2011 at 17:36

audi S3 black edition(2011) manual - your Audi S3 road test - Boulder2k9

'quiet and comfortable'? Is that what you really want from a 30k hot hatch?

As far as performance goes you could have a BMW M3 new shape almost as new for that money and I'm sure the M3 goes better...

Cooler than a GTR?

Basically I am just pointing out that 30k these days will buy you better than a fast VW Golf.

audi S3 black edition(2011) manual - your Audi S3 road test - griffman500

'quiet and comfortable'? Is that what you really want from a 30k hot hatch?

As far as performance goes you could have a BMW M3 new shape almost as new for that money and I'm sure the M3 goes better...

Cooler than a GTR?

Basically I am just pointing out that 30k these days will buy you better than a fast VW Golf.

1 Quiet and comfortable is what you do want on a long run - it can also play the hooligan, believe me, particularly cross-country.

2. I've had a new-shape M3 saloon and it certainly wasn't noticeably quicker than the S3 - also you have to rev the nuts off them to get any torque whatsoever - V8's should be low-revving torque monsters like the chevy LS3 - having to dial in 8000rpm just to overtake someone is ridiculous in anything other than a pure track car

If you can get me a 2010 M3 for 30k then I'll have ten and sell them all on for a profit!

3. If you think a Nissan GTR is cool..................................cool is understated and sophisticated - not bling, bells and whistles - that's chav.

4. A Golf R to the same spec is over 36k - that makes it more than a fast Golf.

audi S3 black edition(2011) manual - your Audi S3 road test - Boulder2k9

1. If quiet and comfortable yet occasionally a hooligan, how about a 20k VW GTI?

2. Yes this is 33k and is almost 3 years old, but to me condition,mileage and service history is more important than the age of the car.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2545092.htm

8000 rpm to overtake? Thats just rubbish, bringing a car to 8000 rpm is part of the fun no?

3. Ok if cool is understated and sophisticated is your A3 cooler than a BMW M5?

4.Here I'm not comparing them on price I'm saying that the A3 is a golf platform with a golf derived engine, that makes it a fast golf.

Finally If you had 30k and wanted something quiet,comfortable yet fairly fast at times how about a Mercedes CLS320cdi for example or of course a BMW M5?

Again granted the A3 is a nice understated car but 30k will buy you better these days in my opinion.