What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - dogtanian

Hi Guys, hope someone can offer some advice. I have just purchased a used 2002 Mondeo diesel auto box. the car drives fab with no strange smells or plumes of smoke. Problem is i have just filled up diesel to the brim (£78 eeek). The "range" shows 221 miles til next refuel. Unless I secretly have a Range Rover under the bonnet I can only assume and hope this is a fault. Has anyone ever heard of this as a fault or is this figure potentially accurate ? hope you can help.thanks

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - Pat L

It doesn't sound right to me.

I have a Passat 2.0tdi 6spd manual and it costs about the same to fill and I get 650-700 miles per tankful.On refilling the range normally reads 680 miles. Even being an auto yours should read/deliver 500+ miles per tankful imo.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - tanvir

Has the battery been disconnected recently? it might take some time to sort itself out

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - colinh
Behaviour of fuel computers can vary.

In my previous car (Golf) the range varied erratically depending on the type of road I was on, e.g. going up hill 200 miles, going down the other side it would change to 700 miles, i.e., the computer would calculate based on current consumption x fuel remaining. Also it would show a very low figure at startup as obviously consumption was high whilst warming up.

In my current car (cee'd) the range shown never increases but just goes down at a slower rate on a decline and faster on an incline.

Prefer the latter method

Edited by colinh on 16/03/2011 at 11:01

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - oldroverboy

one of my old rovers used to tell me out of fuel at half a tank, and showing 22mpg but was actually about 30mpg. Do it the old fashioned way, next time you fill up, fill to the brim, zero the trip computer and the next timeyou fill divide miles by gallons or litres, there are some easy online fuel consumption calculators. Also change the fuel filter if hasn't been done in a while, and make sure air filter is new/clean and you have the best oil for your diesel engine as these and servicing will impact on consumption. (after a service including all new filters, cos plenty of crud in fuel filter my economy went from 45mpg to 50 mpg in the same driving conditions)

Happy motoring.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto - Fuel Range - catsdad
I wouldn't worry about it. I think these work on the basis of using most recent "actual" consumption over a reasonably short period as a reference. So if its been used for lots of stop/start journeys from cold - typical if its recently been up for sale and test driven then the reference mpg might well be very low. It will settle down as you do real journeys.