What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion - Vehicle repairs not "authorised" - kregler

I took my car in to our usual garage on monday with a clutch issue. I called for an update on the Tuesday of which I was informed the parts would be in that afternoon. As the parts had already been ordered I also asked for a rough idea of price. No idea or rough estimate was given.

Wednesday, I popped in of which this time I was informed the parts would be with them that afternoon. Again asked for a rough idea of price. They said call tomorrow morning (being today, Thursday).

Called garage this morning of which told will be doing the works this afternoon. Had a call around 5pm saying the car is nearly ready but will be finished in the morning. Asked again about idea of price and lo-and-behold....£400 + VAT. Now, if they told me when I first asked for a rough cost I wouldn't have authorised the works. Even if they only gave me the price of the parts.

The car is a 53 plate Ford Fusion with 195,000 miles on the clock. We had a small ding last year so the bumper is broken and made good. I reckon it's only worth about £1200.

My wife called them back and they said they were under the impression we needed the car fixed regardless. Yes, we do need the car but at £480 I feel they should have checked this before carrying on with the works, we're not made of money and I would have looked at other options. With the value of the car and the works carried out we could have got a newer vehicle...with at least half the mileage!!!

Where do we stand and what can I do?

Ford Fusion - Vehicle repairs not "authorised" - LucyBC
The company should have provided an estimate for the repair costs but a final price -- based on time charging -- is not always possible.

You don't say what your "clutch issue" was but it sounds that if it was not fixed then your car would not have been worth £1200 but only scrap value.

It is disingenuous to add together the cost of the car without the fault and the repair cost to come up with what you "could have" done as that was not where you set out from.
Ford Fusion - Vehicle repairs not "authorised" - auctioneerjim

its really annoying when this happens, i assume they fitted a complete new clutch which i know is expensive. you should go and see the manager and explain what happened and make him aware of how many times you asked what it would cost, if they are a reputable establishment he should try and help, at least by giving you the parts at the price they actually paid and not the retail price, they normally mark up the parts at 25% more at least. and dont let him give you that old baloney about having to send a man and vehicle to get them ! all parts are delivered to the garage free of charge !!! good luck