What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - 52 Ford Focus Tdci intermittent starting - shuff01

Hello, I've been hovering in the forum for sometime but just signed up as I could do with some advice.

I've got a 52 plate Focus Tdci that has developed a starting problem, first thing in the morning when I turn the ignition key all the lights light up on the dash but the engine doesn't turn over. If I return the key and turn it again it fires up no problems.

If I then switch the engine off and fire it up again its starts fine, I've recently replaced the glow plugs with Bosch items and replaced the starter motor after a noisy warm start problem. I feared this was the dreaded DMF however the starter motor thankfully fixed this.

Also I've noticed when I switch the ignition off the fuel gauge rests ar halfway regardless of how much fuel is in there instead of returning to the stop.

Could the battery now be a little suspect? Anyone else experienced anything similar?

I thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Ben

Has anyone got any advise as to how I would approach solving this problem I'd rather not take it to a main s******!

Any advice as to what I should check first?

Thanks

Ben

Right guys, this problem has escillated! The car now often refuses to start, when turning the ignition on all lights come on, then on cranking nothing happens and it just clicks.

It appears as though the battery is flat but then a couple of hours later the car will start with no problems.

I've contemplated changing the battery but could really do with some advice before doing that as I dont want to fork out for a battery to find I still have the problem.

Someone please help!!

Ben

Ford Focus - 52 Ford Focus Tdci intermittent starting - ddr

Sounds possibly like an immobiliser fault? Perhaps your key's selectronics are on their way out. Have you tried the spare?

Ford Focus - 52 Ford Focus Tdci intermittent starting - dieselnut

If your'e hearing a click is that from a relay or the starter motor solenoid.

If coming from the starter motor, check the main thick cable is tight between the starter & battery, remember this cable is always live so be carefull with any spanners.

Thanks for the advice guys, I only have one programmed key so unfortunately can't check that.

I'm almost certain it's the starter solonoid clicking, I've check the cables are tight so I'm starting to suspect this could be a faulty starter motor.

I still have the old starter which although noisy when hot starting did start every time, I'm going to refit that and see if the problem persists.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ben

Ford Focus - 52 Ford Focus Tdci intermittent starting - bill1980

hi ben i have been reading the problem you had with your focus i am having the same problem did you manage to found out what the fault was

many thanks

bill