What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Miller

Went to a main dealer last week and ordered a brand new car for 1st March.

There was a model in the showroon of the car I was after, in the colour I was after. Salesman went into back office and came out five minutes later saying he had found one in the system and I was lucky as it was the last one in that particular colour. All well and good, forms signed, deposit paid, handshake and off I went.

However, got home that night and started thinking....perhaps they were going to give me the one in the showroom. Sure enough I walked past the dealership the next day and the showroom car was nowhere to be seen. I'm almost certain they are going to try and palm this car off on me, but there is no way I can prove it.

Obviously the car in question looked immaculate, but no doubt it has been sat in by a lot of potential customers, who will also have kicked the tyres, played with the controls and perhaps accidently put a few small marks on the interior/bodywork (I'm paranoid like that).

I would be happy to still take the car, but surely a discount of a few £100's would be in order....but like I said there is no way I could prove it is that car and of course the salesman would just deny it.......

Should I walk away?

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - jc2

And if it's not that one,just another one they found in their system,you know even less about that one.

Lol, true, perhaps I am just being too anal.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Graham567
When you go to collect the new car make sure you have a good look round it BEFORE paying the money over.I spent 5-10 minutes going over the body work and interior to make sure it was immaculate.I surgest you do the same.I take it you haggled a discount anyway off list price?

I intend to give it a thorough inspection, had my fingers burned with my last new car. A wing had been badly scratched and repaired and despite looking over the car it was not visible at first, after several months and washes it became obvious but by then the dealer did'nt want to know, probabaly why I'm so nervous about this one.

The car is only £7k new, so not much room to haggle, managed to get 3 years servicing (which amounts to one service!) thrown in.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Collos25

"Only £7k"

Yes its a lot of money, but not very much for a new car and no lectures on depreciation please.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Lygonos

If the car is unregistered while in the showroom then it is 'new' when you get it.

Check the mileage (should be less than 100) and every panel before driving away in it.

A car sitting in a showroom for a few months would not bother me at all as long as it hasn't been a test-driver.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - PatrickO

Go back soonest and inspect the car, if there's nothing noticeable, i'd still take it as it's better than waiting months for a factory build to arrive.

You could find out when it was manufactured as well to make sure it hasn't been sitting in the show room for a year.

Its a relatively new model, so i doubt it is more than a couple of months old build wise, and it did not look like it had been driven on the road, so fingers crossed my pre payment inspection picks nothing up. Thanks for all the comments.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - ex-Triumph man

In the event that it is raining when you collect the car, ask for it to be wiped over so you can inspect the paint for damage/scratches etc. They will no doubt throw the onus back on you if you bring the car back after taking delivery. Also make sure you go in daylight hours and you could also take a friend with you.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - MikeTorque

I'm yet to see anyone abuse a car in a dealership show room, no kicking of tyres etc. Customers tend to treat new cars in showrooms with kid gloves and any finger prints or dirt marks are soon wiped off.

Every new car has been sat & used numerous of times before a customer collects it. At the factory it's driven outside to a holding location, then driver again and moved around and eventually loaded for shipping (especially an import), then driven again onto a car transporter, then driver again off the transporter, then driven again by the garage mechanics for it's PDI, then driver again to a parking space, then driver again to where you will collect it on the day.

So be glad you've already seen the car you are buying and have had a chance to sit in it etc. most customers don't the opportunity. You could, after all, go and have another look at the car and inspect it all round well before the due collection day, after all it is now your car so the dealership won't object to you showing an interest in the product you've just purchased from them. Then sit back, smile and wait for next week to arrive and enjoy the experience.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - bonzo dog

My view is pretty much as per Mike, although I want to add that you would not know where the car had come from if it were NOT the one in the showroom.

Has it come direct from the factory via, as Mike says, all of the handling processes detailed above, or has it been sat in a compound for a number of months, exposed to the hail, snow, ice etc etc we have just experienced or has it been sat in another dealer's showroom for a couple of months.

Check your new car with a fine toothcomb in the dry, it's a NEW car irrespective of the above & should be in pristine condition. Look down both sides of the vehicle from behind (it's easier to spot small dents than face on). Check all of the tools etc as these are sometimes "borrowed" to give to other cars where they are missing.

Enjoy your new car

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Chris M

A friend was looking at buying a new small automatic. The Renault dealer had a Clio in the showroom so it was arranged for them to take it out for a test drive. I don't know how far they took it, but they were given the keys and off they went without a saleman in tow. They could easily have put 50 miles on it. That car would have gone back in the showroom and would have still been "brand new".

The twist is when they got back to the showroom a very junior salesman asked whether they had liked the car. They said they did and would take it. Collected it a couple of days later and she still has it 6 years on.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - ForumNeedsModerating

Unless the salesperson was a bit thick or devious (or maybe even both..) it's surprising that their 'looking on the system' didn't reveal that the car was the very one in the showroom

However.. I wouldn't worry too much about the car - with the proviso, of course, you give it a through check around (& under!) at pick-up time. Do check all 'buttons' & functions as well.

Maybe even be pleased that the car sitting the showroom will have been throughly looked at & pawed over for a while - it would certainly reveal any original build problems in the interior & controls etc - regard its stay in the showroom as a 'super-PDI' if you like!

The only thing I'd regret is that new-car-smell may have slighlty dissipated.. you just can't bottle that stuff! (I may be stood corrected on that though...)

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Andy P

You can, but given what it consists of, I don't think you'd want it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/2720111/Enjoying-the-smell-of-a-new-car-is-like-glue-sniffing.html

An update. Picked the car up today (a Renault Twingo), gave it a good looking over, no marks on the bodywork apart from a tiny paint chip that the salesman pointed out to me before I even noticed it and they will get it booked in to repair asap......fine I said and off I went....thinking I had got off lightly compared to my initial fears, however.....

Got home and decided to have another look. Got down on my knees to have a good peek at the underside. Like most cars it has a metal strip (or seam) running along the length of either side of the car, only visible when you crouch down for a look. In all the other cars I have owned the bottom edge of this strip has been well sealed and smooth to the touch, but on this car it is very ragged with seemingly bits of loose paint/metal moveable with the touch of my finger.

Obviously I am going back to the dealer with this asap but I have a feeling he will say "They are all like that sir". Surely this is a fault and a future corrosion problem waiting to happen? I know they are built in Slovakia but my previous Clio was as well and it certainly did not have this problem!

It will certainly be interesting to see what the dealers take on this is.......

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - P3t3r

A salesman tried to sell me a car in the showroom. He said 'you can have that one'. I said I would like one from the factory, and I believe that's where it came from. It was in good condition, and unlike my previous new car, I couldn't see any scuffs, only a few small scratches on the paintwork.

What do people do with cars in show rooms? They try them out. They try the buttons, and see if they can get their kids in the back etc. People don't even look after their own cars, actually salesmen don't even look after them either. I would never want a showroom car or demonstrator (unless it was a very good price).

btw, after a quick search on the Internet I can see new Twingos with over £2000 discount!

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Craigdm
Just ordered a twingo for my daughter. £6k brand new with RAC cover and servicing. £65 month sounds like a bargain, not too happy with the 3 months wait for delivery though.
Would be interested to hear how the op gets on with his.

Just an update if anyones interested. Indeed the salesman did say "They are all like that" so I had a good look underneath several other new examples and lo and behold they are (not just Renaults, VWs at the dealership as well).

Perhaps I was being too fussy, it helped put my mind at rest anyway. Other than that a nice drive even if it does look a bit girly.........

PS> Whilst the car was in for a paint chip repair I was given a new model VW Polo courtesy car. Very big for a "small" hatchback and had a buzzy petrol engine that sounded like a diesel. Not as nice to drive as the Twingo but obviously the interior and finish was of a higher quality.

Is this car "New" or should I haggle a discount? - Pizza man

i work down southampton docks, i see lots fo hondas and range/land rover and jaguars being moved around. i'd not worry too much about the car in the show room....