What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus TDCI - Wrong Oil ? - micksilver

My local mechanic has used Castrol Magnetec 10/40 instead of 05/30 for my last oil change, could this be a problem

Ford Focus TDCI - Wrong Oil ? - unthrottled

A slight change in the weight of the oil shouldn't be catastrophic. However, manufacturers are very particular about which oils are suitable for their engines-much more so than the brand of fuel that the owner chooses to fill up with. There is a more detailed specification of the oil on the back of the bottle. Look at the API/ACEA ratings and compare them with the manufacturerer's STIPULATED (not recommended) specifications. In fact the label should specifically state which engines the oil is approved for. Ignore any pseudo-scientific babble about intelligent molecules bonding themslves to vital engine components!

If the Castrol stuff doesn't meet the specifications in the handbook, ask the mechanic to change it. Your engine needs the right oil, not a generic 'good quality' one.

Ford Focus TDCI - Wrong Oil ? - quizman
Your mechanic should have used Magnatec 5W-30. This is the recommended oil for Fords. I have heard of problems using other grades.
Tell your mechanic to change the oil to one with the correct specs.

IMO this is exactly what garages do, they use what they have in the barrel in the corner. It doesn't matter whether it is a Ford, VW or Ferrari, the semi-sync 10W-40 is suitable for all, they say!