What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 mazda 6 2.0 diesel - Rear O/S brake sticking - fago

I've a 03 mazda 6 diesel.

I noticed last week after a cold night the rear passenger brake was sticking and cooked after a 12 mile trip.

Its sticking now on and off. We have a steep drive so the handbrake gets plenty of use.

What I am wondering is before I drop it into the mechanic, what is the most likely problem - handbrake cable, or the caliper.

Anything else it could be?

Is it worth my while ordering the replacement 2nd hand caliper before I drop it in?

Thanks

Edited by fago on 23/01/2011 at 16:29

03 mazda 6 2.0 diesel - Rear O/S brake sticking - wmo

I have owned a Mazda 6 petrol since April 2003. During the routine service the handbrake mechanism has been fond to be jammed on a one wheel on two occassions.

The machanic had to loosen off the cable, free the mechanism and then adjust the cable. The handbrake works much better after this

03 mazda 6 2.0 diesel - Rear O/S brake sticking - Jetjockey

Have you also thought to check the two pins (sliding mechanism) that hold the brake pad assembly to the rest of the caliper assembly.

I checked mine the other day as the handbrake would not engage properly and found that one of theses pins had siezed solid in it's holder.

Just a thought.

03 mazda 6 2.0 diesel - Rear O/S brake sticking - The Gingerous One

I'd had this a couple of times on my 05 Mazda 6 and the first time the garage took a look and greased the sliders & everything was ok for about 18 months.

Then before xmas one side seized on hard, and didn't free off after driving for a few hundred yards. Pulled over, wheel v. hot and throwing snow on it caused it to instantly turn to steam!

Called AA out, guy disconnected the h/brake cable from the caliper and pushed the caliper mech back so it released the brake & I could drive it. AA guy said that "greasing the sliders" usually lasts about 6 months so the fact mine lasted for 18 months I took as a sign not to push my luck!

Local garage replaced both rear calipers along with pads for just over £300 and now the handbrake is fine, no sticking, all good. So I'll go for the caliper being the problem!

Hope that helps

cheers

Stu