Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - Sulphur Man

A little FYI for cost-conscious HJ forumers

Google have added a rather handy fuel calculator to their already pretty wonderful MAPS online application.

It's not the last word in accuracy (yet) but it seems to be indexing against current fuel prices, and one can tweak this price anyway.

I'd like to see the 'car type' drop down relate to actual models and typical mileage, or just let the user type in the typical mpg of their car.

More details on the feature, and how to access it, from the link below

www.techradar.com/news/internet/google-maps-quietl...7

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - Avant

Thanks very much for letting us know - much appreciated.

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - ForumNeedsModerating

I just tried the feature - a journey of ~44 miles - 80-90% A-road dual carriageway, 'standard' car (I have a Mondeo 2l diesel) & fuel type diesel @ £1.34 litre estimated cost:

£8.61 - utterly inaccurate!

If I really 'try' to drive uneconomically on this route my consumption is about 45mpg - (it's usually nearer 55mpg) , so even @ 45mpg & diesel @ £1.34 litre that's £6.03

Either they're 'standard' cars are Hummer sized, or their algorithm (which won't be complicated, let's face it..) is simply wrong.

There's no indication that is for round trip, so I assume it's from 'A to B' only.

So, nice try Google - but back to the drawing board I think!

Edited by woodbines on 21/01/2011 at 08:35

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - BorisTheSpider

My guess would be that it is based on American fuel economies as the vehicle choice allows for compact (and google are American) so it the mpgs are probably a little out.

Boris

Next to useless I'd say. My car isn't particularly economical by modern standards (47.9 combined, diesel) and the figure is about 40% high. For someone with a 55-60 combined figure, they'd be well over 50% high pro-rata.

The Google fuel cost est. is just a gimmick with no science behind it as it stands.

Even a numpty SQL programmer like me (not my speciality) could knock out a calculator at least based on model type (CO2 output,VED data), work out a combined mpg, then filter that through some mapping algorithm to give an 'average' (i.e. split between urban / extra urban etc) type of road, whence give a more accurate fule cosy guide.

Ok, woodbines. As I pointed out, this is brand new and no doubt will be developed and improved by Google, who are very receptive to customer feedback btw.

As you may know, Google MAPS carries live traffic data & detailed terrain, so the data is there for Google to refine the calculation in the future.

Agreed, the 'car type' is the bit that needs most work, but mpg data on every make and model for at least the last two decades is freely available, so one for Google to consider adding at a later date.

It's a free service, always nice in an increasingly costly world, so use it for what it's worth.

That's it though isn't it SulphurMan - for a 'couple of bob' more in programming terms it could have been much,much better - as I said, even an crummy SQL programmer like me could have done something better in a couple of days- and when you think of Google's resources.. well.

In my view, at the moment, it's not even vaguely useful - maybe even misleading.

Ok, let's see how it pans out, eh? If Google could create and implement incredible services like Earth and Streetview, then I'm sure they can develop this further. There's a bright side of the street too, you know.

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - colinh
On longer continental journeys I find the ViaMichelin site better as it includes toll charges. It's worthwhile comparing quickest against economical routes - i.e., tolls v. time
Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - Steven Quas

Looks a useful gadget. Thanks.

Steven Quas , Hamburg

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - craneboy

US gallons are different to UK gallons....US= 3.79 ltr UK= 4.55ltr

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - adirgenish

there is a new iphone App : Fuel Calculator Int . it does the exact thing and you can also enter manually your MPG or KPL , US gallon and IMP(Britian) gallon .

here his the discription and the link to ituens : itunes.apple.com/us/app/fuel-calculator-int/id4911...8 Have you always dreamed of knowing how much cost you a trip with your car ?
From now on we stop guessing! Fuel calculator Int is a world wide app that lets you, and anyone else , know the distance, current speed, fuel quantity, fuel consumption average and most importantly the cost of your trip!! Just like in a cab!

All you need to do is :

Choose your fuel and distance units
Choose your car
Start driving!!

FEATURES:
• Advanced calculation that considers traffic and high acceleration of the vehicle.
• Maps ,to see where you are .
• Full international support ,Metric, US, and Imperial
units(MPG(US), MPG(IMP), KPL, L/100KM, G/100KM).
• Mileage, fuel consumption, fuel quantity and speed tracking.
• Expense tracking.
• Save your trips.
• Calculate trips details and expenses.
• App works in background mode.
• Share your trip details on Facebook.

•The advanced calculation was determined by our engineers to achieve the most accurate results to your fuel consumption and trips costs.

Fuel calculator works on GPS while you drive so you do not need to estimate the distance you are going to drive.
Gets accurate results , fun and easy to use!!

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - TeeCee

All you need to do is :

Choose your fuel and distance units
Choose your car
Start driving!!

You missed: "Buy an iPhone". That puts it firmly into the "too ridiculously expensive to be worth having" category.

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - colinh

Viamichelin.com have had a costs calculator for many years - fuel costs can be inputted by type of car, mpg., and, importantly on the continent, the cost of tolls. Useful to see the savings in tme v. cost of tolls when planning routes. There is an app version

Edited by colinh on 13/01/2012 at 15:24

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - jamie745

Just use this instead. Its flawless because you enter all data yourself.

www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - daveyjp

My Garmin satnav calcualates fuel costs for journeys based on the MPG figures you set and the cost of fuel.

I have found it remarkably accurate when compared with the on board computer, but it is depressing to see how much individual journeys cost!

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - unthrottled

The fatal flaw is that you have to know what your fuel economy would be prior to the journey-which most people don't. This is simply an app. that does the (easy) arithmetic for you.

For a 300 mile trip, I know I'll get ~40 to the gallon if I cruise at 70.

(300/40)~7.5gallons

7.5 gallons*~£6/gallon=£45.

A couple of mpg or pence/gallon won't change it by much.

Still, a fool and money...

Google Maps - handy little fuel price calculator - Bobbin Threadbare

Still, a fool and money...

......buys an iPhone. I work mine out with a pencil and a bit of paper...!