What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - mudchute
Hi to all,

My 306 smokes quite a but when under load.

It's hard to tell what colour it is through the rear window but if ever there is a car behind me with their lights on I can normally drench them in smoke! I think it's black smoke...

Service wise other than coming up for an oil change everything is new, belts, filters, everything!

It started though after a recent cambelt change. The old belt was very slack and the new one (Inc rollers) made a very noticeable difference in performance, a slight one in mpg and the engine even sounds more like a diesel!

it does around mid 40's mpg wise.

It all seems like a very healthy engine but, it smokes so much under load!!

Any ideas?
Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - Peter.N.

This is caused either by excess fuel or insufficient air, you will usually get a little black smoke at full throttle but if its leaving a cloud there is obviously something wrong. If the performance is normal it could be that the pump is overfuelng, if its a Bosch pump its quite easy to adjust but any reduction in fuel will give a corresponding reduction in performance.

Has the air filter been changed? That's the first thing to look at, then check that all the air intake and turbo hoses have not collapsed or been squashed.

The air filter was new 3k ago and all the hoses appear intact. Performance wise, it's excellent, it seems now to be exactly as it should.

It starts, idles and performs as I would expect it to other than this smoking thing which, I might add is when it's on boost. My journey doesn't help, I'm up and down from the national limit every 5 mins which means a lot of accelerating upto higher speeds from very low speeds.

Oh, t'is a Lucas pump.

Edited by mudchute on 18/01/2011 at 22:26

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - sexystu1987
i have a s reg peugeot 306 1.9 td i only bought the car a few days ago for 575 and i drove it bk home fine the next day i tried to start it but it was not fireing up wen i did get it started and drove it ova 2000 revs it was coming out with loads of thick black smoke i really dnt no wat it is ad i dnt want to scrap the car can any 1 help
Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - unthrottled

Normally, I'd concur with the 'lack of air'/low fuel pressure diagnosis-they're the classic causes of diesel smoke. But the fact that it occured after a cam belt change is interesting. Trouble is, the symptoms are contradictory. Advancing the timing will tend to bump up the performance and fuel economy, at the expense of more diesel clatter. Retarding timing tends to quieten combustion, but has a deleterious effect on smoke and efficiency. You've got more clatter, and smoke, so the timing appears to be advanced and retarded simultaneously! Did you change it yourself, (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm not accusing you of being incompetent, the injection timing might have been altered before. A 2 degree difference in SOI would make a big difference.

Hi there,

Yes i changed it myself along wig the tensioner and idler. I checked the timing was correct twice after fitting by use if the timing marks/bolt holes in the bullets and flywheel, all were spot on.

There us another aspect consider which is me and my perception of what is acceptable smoke and, I'm judging this with a car behind me, at night obviously with their lights on which will make any smoke look it's worst.

Still though, doesn't feel right.

It could just be a sign of a healthy motor (no smoke, no poke!) as it dies perform so well.

Another thing I did think of was if someone has upped the fueling which would fit these symptoms quite well.

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - Peter.N.

I had also wondered about the timing being out but the symptoms seem to indicate otherwise, if it was retarded by a tooth it would be difficult to start. The smoke level varies from car to car but its quite usual to be able to see it in the headlights of following cars at night, can you see it during the day? What also happens is that when being driven sedatly soot accumulates in the exhaust system which when booted will come out in clouds that look like smoke, a few good blasts at high revs will clear it.

Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - unthrottled

You've got the old distributer type pump, haven't you? If so, it's easy to just 'turn the screw' to increase the fuelling. I don't commend the practice though, the extra soot clogs up the oil pretty quickly, and there's no guarentee that the piston cooling is sufficient.Those old diesels were only indestructable because the fuelling was kept pretty lean.

I think that engine has a diaphragm actuated boost compensator. Might it be possible that this has become stuck open, allowing the pump to over fuel the engine when there isn't sufficient airflow?

That last point sounds very plausible, I'll check that asap as it would fit this description perfectly. It is fitted with a diaphragm to up the fueling when air pressure acts on it.

I'll keep you guys posted. If I find something I'll put on here in case it can be if help to others.

Thankyou for you help!
Peugeot 306 - Peugeot 306 1.9td smoking under load. - sexystu1987
my peugeot comes out with loads of black smoke wen it goes ova 2000 revs