What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus 2004 zetec climate automatic - remote control key fob not working - keith72

my father in law recently dropped hisremote control key fob in water.he dried it off,changed battery, but still not working.he has to open car manually.

do you have to reset or contact ford to get new key ?

any ideas folks

ford focus 2004 zetec climate automatic - remote control key fob not working - mikej

The following advice if for the mk1 (not sure if it applies to the mk2) and is all 'IIRC', as it's been a few years since I sold my mk1 Focus, so you might want to wait for someone else to confirm it before acting on it...

Does the key still start the car ? If so, this indicates that the immobiliser transponder chip is still working, even though the buttons no longer work.

You need two working keys (that start the car) to program a third to do the same yourself, so if his remote key still starts the car and he has a spare (working) key then, AFAIK, he should be able to buy the remote fob part of the key (£40-50 online), attach it to the key part of his old remote and program it himself without needing to go to a dealer.

Details of how to program additional keys are in the Focus manual.

If it's not possible to switch the key part from the old to new remote quick enough during the procedure, then blanks are available fairly cheaply and getting one cut shouldn't cost too much.

ford focus 2004 zetec climate automatic - remote control key fob not working - keith72

thanks for that mike,as far as i am aware his key still starts the car,i will get him to look in manual if he has one.

thanks again