Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - pinkpanther_75

Long time since I posted but I thought I'd let you all know about my year driving a Yeti (now replaced with an Octavia!).

I have never kept any car for long and at 1 year / 10K miles the Yeti lasted longer than most recent cars (Lexus GS300, Octavia MKII 1.8 TSi, Roomster 2 1.9 TDi, x2 MKI Octavia vRS's, Qashqai 1.6 and Merc CLK).

It was definitely a distinctive car and on more than a few occasions I found random people asking me what it was etc.

Over the first year / 10K miles it required no oil or coolant whatsoever.

The tyres at 10K miles were 1/3 worn on the front and appeared virtually unworn on the back

I had 3 unscheduled visits to the main dealer
* ECU Flashed / interior bulb replaced
* Cam position sensor replaced after ESP failure popped up on the maxidot
* Passenger rear door lock replaced after child locks/central locking failed.

I then had the Bolero (radio) flashed by the main dealer in order to address the "slow SD card read" issue - this made a huge difference.

The overall average mpg was in the low 30's (70% Urban / 30% Mway). The best MPG was just over 40 mpg and the worst well into the 20's.

The car was exceptionally quiet at high speed. I came to the Yeti from a "proper" Lexus and didn't in any way feel short changed in the refinement department.

I found the ride a bit unsettled on the motorway. I assumed this was due to the relatively short wheelbase and low profile tyres. The roadholding was however very positive and reassuring.

The ICE system sounded very good, although I found the Bolero a tremendously fiddly thing to navigate. The system in the pre FL MKII Octavia was much more intuitive and easier to operate on the move.

I had the spare wheel kit fitted and found it made a big difference to the available boot space. It also rendered the bag hooks largely useless.

The general build quality of the car, both insde and out, was exemplary. Not a single rattle at 10K miles / 1 year old.

I only ever used the Park Assist system to show/amaze other people. Seemed a good deal though as it also came with ESP and front sensors.

The dual zone climate worked well and I think is a worthwhile upgrade from the standard AC system.

The rear view mirror is set too low.

I found the standard halogen headlights were good. I did try to upgrade the bulbs, but found the access quite limited. I was disapointed to read that the bumper needs to come off to remove the headlights / front indicators. Same with the Roomster though.

I was in two minds regarding the engine. On the one hand, you couldn't help be impressed how it allowed the car to cruise at high speed / low revs (70 mph equates to around 2600 rpm). Driving the Yeti for the first time after a 1.6 NA Qashqai was a revelation. The TSi unit immediately felt stronger, quicker and much quieter, despite the performance figures being largely the same. I actually never told my wife the engine was 400cc smaller in the Yeti!

On the other hand I was always left with the feeling the car was operating just within it's capabilities. The was, perhaps not unsurprisingly, most apparent when trying the regain speed on the Mway. The engine also suffered the rattly / unstable idle which seems to be a feature of this engine. It also took a few seconds longer to start than any other new car I've owned.

The final negative for me related to the cars ability in the recent snow. This was no doubt due to its overly large summer tyres - Pirelli P Zero Rosso's on mine. I did look into winter tyres, but in the 17" size the cost was approaching £1K. I looked a sourcing some steelies, but again price / availability was an issue.

This being said I was left with the feeling that the Yeti is a quite rare thing in todays crowded car market, being both distinctive (in a good way) and "characterful".

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - brum

Thanks Seant for the review. It appears to be well balanced without any of the fanboy bias found in so many other forum poster reviews.

It has to be pointed out that 1year/10k is not a significantly long time to assess any cars reliabilty. After all its still within warranty. But a good review none the less.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - bazza

Nice review, thanks. Disappointing mpg though? 1.2 tsi I presume? I guess it has a weight handicap in the Yeti.

Thought I'd dredge up an old post and bring things up to date.

The Yeti (1.2 TSi) was replaced with a 1.8 TSi 4x4 Octavia, which was replaced by a 1.6 CR TDi Roomster, before finally returning to a Yeti - 2.0 TDi this time. I did (briefly) own a 2.0 Petrol CRV in the interim.

The new Yeti has now covered ~20K in just over 12 months. It is averaging mid 40's MPG and was a relevation in the snow earlier this year. It is a 2WD, but once fitted with winter tyres 16" steel wheels, proved more than capable. The 110 BHP does occasionaly feel somewhat underpowered, although is a marked improvement both on the 1.6 CR fitted to my Roomster and the 1.2 TSi in my first Yeti. Interestingly all 3 engines share very similar power outputs, but in every day driving couldn't be more different in character. The 2.0 seems much stronger at lower revs than the 1.6 CR, despite sharing identical torque outputs.

All told very happy with both Skoda and more specifically the Yeti.

The only negative thus far was requiring the lower section of the front passenger side door repainiting. This was eventually covered under warranty by Skoda and was apparently caused by "Zinc Inclusions". The VW delear who painted to car said they'd seen the same defect numerous times on a variety of VAG vehicles.

Other than that totally relaiable in 12 months / 20K miles.

Edited by Seant on 15/08/2013 at 19:24

Any car that needs to have its bumper removed to change a light bulb is off my list.

Any car that needs to have its bumper removed to change a light bulb is off my list.

Hi Brum - I'm not aware it is neccesary to remove the bumper to change any of the lights, in fact the access to the rear of the light clusters in my current MY 2012 Yeti seems ample.

A work colleague previously owned a Renault Megane and the owners manual suggested removing a front wheel, in order to gain access to the rear of the front light cluster!

Edited by Seant on 16/08/2013 at 13:43

Seant said in the OP

I was disapointed to read that the bumper needs to come off to remove the headlights / front indicators. Same with the Roomster though.

So does it or doesnt it?

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - Happy Blue!

To replace bulbs no - to replace the whole unit yes (I think)

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - xtrailman

Sounds like the Yeti is best avoided reading the above.

Seant said in the OP

I was disapointed to read that the bumper needs to come off to remove the headlights / front indicators. Same with the Roomster though.

So does it or doesnt it?

My apologies - the bumper does NOT need to come to replace any of the front lights.

Edited by Seant on 24/08/2013 at 23:04

Sorry - my intention was to state the bumper does not need to come off !!

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - Avant

"Sounds like the Yeti is best avoided reading the above."

I don't think that's the impression Seant was trying to give - he's not only stayed with Skoda but come back to a Yeti, one with a bigger engine which deals with the point he made about the 1.2 being at its limits

Any car that needs rust treatment under a year old is off my list, this isn't the first i've read of this with the Yeti.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti - my thoughts on 10K miles / 1 year - thunderbird

Any car that needs rust treatment under a year old is off my list, this isn't the first i've read of this with the Yeti.

Skoda will have sold tens of thousands of Yeti's in the UK alone and I have yet to read a report that rust is a widepread problem.

But you never read about the pople whonever have rust,you only read about the one that does.

All makes have the odd issue, its unavoidable. Its how they sort it that matters.

If you want to ensure when buying a car you avoid any possible rust issues there is only one sollution, don't buy a car.

The problem with the door wasn't rust, but actually a type of paint defect. The VAG paint shop who repaired the door referred to the problem as "zinc inclusions", which I understand to be "left overs" from when the door was originally manufactured / painted.

The only other "paint" issue I'm aware of relates to very early (2009) models, which tended to suffer stone chipping to the leading edge of the rear wheel arch. Later models had a film applied to protect this area. Early cars were I believe eligible to have the retrofitted FOC.

I read about one in whatcar, rust to the hatchback door.

Also seen this on the forum today.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101975

Also seen this on the forum today.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=101975

I think the design of this type of typically "flat sided" crossover type of vehicle means they are relatively prone to stone chipping along the flanks. Skoda attempted to address this on the Yeti by fitting foil protection to the leading edge of the rear wheel arch.

I have considered fitting mud flaps to mine, but shared wisdom found online would appear to suggest these are largely ineffective.

The issue with my car was confirmed as a paint / manufacturing defect and was not as a result of stone chipping or rust.

Edited by Seant on 31/08/2013 at 13:01

I had stone chipping with Primeras on the rear wheel arc, and the transparent protection was fitted to reduce it.

however on two xtrails T30, T31, no stone chips, if you look at the sill area you will see why, it effectively comes out a couple of inches, so is a very effective stone guard.

Mud flaps do make a difference, and i always fit them and take any MPG hit.

My present Mazda CX-5 is very similar to the XT with the sill extending, so i'm hoping for a similar result, i also think the cars elevated ground clearance helps reduce debris being thrown up onto the car.

I like the look of the Yeti, but needed a larger boot and more towing power, so it was never on my list, along with the Tiguan.