What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - Harish

Hi

I am in UK and I currently have a Honda Accord 1.8 2000 model car and I drive daily 100 miles to work. The mileage I get with this car is around 30MPG, I didn't relaize that I have been spending too much money on fuel (approx £6000 an year), so want to buy another fuel-efficient car. Any suggestions on which car I can buy for my needs?
1. First preference is for the best mileage
2. Should be motorway commutable (I guess 1.0 is fine)
3. Since I am using the car for long journeys should I go for Diesel cars? But currently the diesel prices are higher than petrol, so do I really need a diesel car?
4. Is it preferable to go for a new car or an used car?
5. I dont have the full money to buy a new car, so I will go for finance. But one thing I noticed is that the car companies are imposing a mileage limit (eg: 10000 miles an year) which doesn't suit to me as I easily do around 30000 miles an year.
6. I can adjust with3 door cars also, but it should have AC.

The cars that I am thinking are: Citroen C1, C2, Vauxhall corsa, Ford punto etc.

Any suggestions are welcome

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - Collos25

I also am thinking of a small car for other reasons to you I never go anywhere,I have my list down to Mitsubishi colt 1.1 chain cam engines,Fiat panda or grande punto ,citroen c1,3,4.

I used to have a Smart forfour 1.3 which is the same car as the Mitsubishi and I was more than satisfied but I like the look of the grande punto.With small cars I think its best to stay away from diesel version as they are so complicated these days with some very expensive parts.You will notice a big difference in fuel bills if you run a C1 1.0 and fuel is not going to get cheaper.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 17/12/2010 at 13:48

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - AKD

I would buy used, as your budget will go further, and you won't be tied into any mileage limits. I assume that, as you are considering superminis with small engines, you are not bothered about refinement, but, if you are, then a slightly larger car would be preferable. Even a base model VW Golf 1.4 would be a more relaxed motorway car than a supermini.

If you are easily covering 30,000 miles a year, then I would have thought that would be enough to warrant a diesel (in financial terms at least). I don't know your budget, but the 1.4 HDi engine available with the C2 is fine, along with the 1.6TDCI version of the Ford Fiesta. Don't forget japanese cars such as the Toyota Yaris, too.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to go for a mk5 VW Golf 1.9TDI, purely for economy and the comfort of a slightly larger car.

Problem with anything from VAG in diesel form is that they can cost a fortune in repairs and are not paticulary reliable when they get older.

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - Cymrogwyllt

I would take care assuming that a small car/engine will be most economical. I found a Polo 1.2 less economical than a Vectra Cdti 150. Local 40 mpg vs 47, long run/motorway speeds low 40's vs 60+. I swapped the 1.2 petrol for a 1.4 Bluemotion and get 60 mpg ish (Lying computer says 71) locally. The longest run I've done with it is 60 miles or so and 85 claimed by the computer so reckon mid 70's in reality.

A small engine working hard is generally less economical than a larger engine operating less hard.

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - SteveLee
Citroën C3 1.4 petrol, surprisingly comfortable on the motorway, 50mpg on a run and has excellent safety ratings, particularly good foot/leg protection for its class, which is your worry in motorway incidents. Can be bought for peanuts - why saddle yourself with a loan.

I would agree with that.

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - injection doc
we bought C1 which is a Toyota 3 years ago which has been trouble free & such fun to drive. I bought it for commuting and it has saved a fortune.
Local running about it returns 57mpg, on a run driving at 65 it returns 72 and overall about 62/65.
Because it is so frugal and £30 tax and group 1 insurance I would forgive it if I could find any failings , but for what it is ,its been brilliant.
It holds it own on the motorway and is very quiet at 80 for a supermini.
Obviously if on an incline & you get slowed down its not a rocket ship at picking up but with N-cap4 & ABS & PAS its just great fun.
when I was doing 500 miles a week it was using about 8 galls 36 lts.
we now have a 2nd C1 in the family due to the fact that they are so cheap to run & the 2nd one has Air con which was very good in the summer.
The only critisim was they don't come with a glove box but you can buy the glove box for about £ 28+vat & 5mins to fit.
My Daughter loves it as she only has to fill it up once a month!
Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - madf

MUSTS:

Dieesl or over 50 mpg

Reliable

Comfortable

Easy and cheap servicing - a dealership/good garage near you.

Long tyre life.

I would rule out a very small car .. and of course all Renaults..

Any 1.4 diesel will do the job.

55+mpg and £30 tax.

I'd avoid the PSA engines due to occasional engine issues and instead go Japanese (expensive) or Hyundai (cheaper)..

There are LOTS of Mark1/2 Yaris diesels with over 150k miles and still going strong. Servicing and tyres are cheap and Toyota service is brilliant. BUT they hold value very well.

Polo 1.4TDI, Fabia ditto very good, not cheap s/h.

You may be better buying a small petrol engine cheaper.. ...

Time to do simple sums...

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - R2-CMax

It holds it own on the motorway and is very quiet at 80 for a supermini. Obviously if on an incline & you get slowed down its not a rocket ship at picking up but with N-cap4 & ABS & PAS its just great fun.

Interesting - I had an Aygo petrol 5 door as a courtesy car, and found exactly the opposite - a horrendous booming/resonance from the body became apparent at motorway speeds and it felt pretty much out of its depth - not really fit for purpose if we're talking 100 mile commutes from my experience of taking one 60 miles up the M1.

But don't disagree with anything else you've said

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - carl_a

I would take care assuming that a small car/engine will be most economical. I found a Polo 1.2 less economical than a Vectra Cdti 150.

The VW 1.2 is a dire little engine, poor performance, low MPG, high Co2 and high road tax as a result. Japanese/Korean small engines are far superior

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - P3t3r

I've just ordered a new C1 myself to save money. I believe these are possibly the most economical petrol cars you can get. In the real world a lot of cars don't get anywhere near their official fuel consumption figures, but with C1's (and 107s/Agyos) they seem to be getting 60+mpg quite often. Some of the other nice things about it is that the servicing is pretty cheap, and it's chain cam. The biggest drawback is that they are fairly basic cars. You can't adjust the height of the seat which could be a problem if you spend a lot of time behind the wheel. At 70mph the C1 feels suprisingly good and the refinement seemed to be good at that speed.

The Panda's are good, both the petrol and Diesel. Euro 5 engines come out soon, which should offer better fuel consumption and performance. The petrol engine won't match the consumption of the C1, but it is a bit less basic.

You can get good discount off both the C1 and Panda. I don't know how much money you have to spend, but you should be able to get a brand new C1 VTR+ or a Panda 1.2 dynamic for £8k (maybe less). VAT will push the prices up a bit next year though.

"The biggest drawback is that they are fairly basic cars."

The upside to this is increased reliability with not having loads of goodies to go wrong !

Our C1's are more economical than our Fiesta 1.6tdci & the fuel is cheaper
Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - brettmick

If I may add my tuppence-worth I would say

- You are commuting a fair distance so I suggest a small car might be noisier and less comfortable than a big car which has an affect on your concentration and performance once you arrive at the other end. For example a small car has a smaller wheelbase so you feel more of the bumps.

- Small cars cost less to start with but after a couple of years the depreciation of a big car brings them to a similar price to a small car. A Mundane-o, Vectra or Saab will have lost bucketloads.

- A big diesel car on a run is not much worse than a small car. My Saab 93 would do 50+ MPG from Cambridge to Norwich while currently the i10 does about 55 on the same stretch. I know how I feel when I finish that run in the little i10 but in the Saab I could drive all day.

- A larger car is safer. Before people point out the 5* NCAP ratings the tests are different for small cars and not directly comparable across classes.

- Therefore I would suggest you think about a big car that is a few years old that perhaps has some warranty left. The old shape Skoda Superb 1.9 Diesel seems an option to me, the 120 or 150 BHP Vectra diesel, the Epica is very cheap and cheerful, the i30 a bit smaller but there are some well priced 2nd hand versions starting to appear with a long warranty left, Mitsubishi Lancer is a left field choice?

The down side to buying a big car once the depreciation has kicked in is the price of tyres, service & repair, ins & tax.

I have been there & done that many times but one or two passats kicked me in the wallet when they went wrong.

C1 cost me £170 a year for service + 30 tax + £70 quid for two tyres ! & 160 ins fully comp & it cost £6250 new & had three years warranty.

My passat was 12.5K at 3 years old & 45000 miles.

For fuel effeicency & costs savings I haven't found anything to get near to the C1

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - Avant

Welcome to the forum!

I think the best compromise for your needs - assuming you don't need the space of your current Honda - would be supermini size.

I'm not sure if your commute is 100 miles each way or round trip: either way your mileage is high enough to justify a diesel. You need something that will run up to high mileage without wearing out.

I'd suggest you have a look at diesel versions of the Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Skoda Fabia and Mazda 2, but there are of course lots of others in this class. Try to find something with a 6-speed gearbox for relaxed cruising if you can. I'm not sure which of the cars I've mentioned have 6-sdpeed gearboxes, but you'll find lots of information ion the Reviews section of this site.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Avant on 18/12/2010 at 18:00

Need suggestions on buying a fuel efficient car - Harish

Thank you guys for your inputs.

Finally I bought Citroen C3 diesel 1.6 Airdream+

well done harish.
great engine, plenty of punch, should get around 60 mpg on a run