Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - Gregory II

Hello

I have a problem with my Toyota Camry 2.4 vehicle. It is a 2002 model.

At present, I am loosing coolant at a rate of about 1/2 per 2 days or so. Can someone suggest what initial tests I can perform to find out what the cause might be; I fear it could be a head gasket, but please let me know what equipment I should use. Also, is there a certain part of the engine where leaks are most likely to take place. I can look to see if it is leak (hopefully it is!).

Thanks in advance

Gregory

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - Collos25

You need a sniffer test doing to be reasonable certain look at the oil cap for signs of mayonaise or get it upto temp and look carefully for any leaks.

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - madf

If you are a lazy skinflint and want to take a risk spend about £10 on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-Seal-k-seal-Coolant-Leak-Repair-RADIATORS-CAR-VAN-/260671025870?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb13432ce

Can someone recommend a sniffer tester for me. I can buy one and use it also as a good servicing tool as well perhaps? Thanks Greg

Please, someone!! I haven't much information about sniffer testers!

Greg

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - Chuckie888

My interpretation is that a sniff test uses the CO2 testing equipment ala MOT to check for gasses in the coolant expansion tank, but a BLOCK TEST uses a chemical reaction. You basically put some chemical into a vessel with a hole in it over the coolant expansion tank. If any gasses are in your coolant then you have a leaking HG and the colour of the chemical/liquid will change. Should cost about £15-20 for a kit.

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - Collos25

Welll explained by Chuckie most garages will do a sniffer test for you around £20.

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - yokel38

I would take a look at the most obvoius first, ie the radiator. There was an issue with coolant seeping from the radiator on the camry 2.4, it affected vehicles produced prior to 2005. If this is the case, then it's either a new rad, or you could even try some rad sealant, (addit rad-seal is excellent) should cost about £10 or so.

Dave

Toyota Camry 2.4 vvti petrol - Loosing coolant - Peter.N.

Place a recepticle under the end of the overflow pipe from the header tank, if the head gasket is leaking it will expel a considerable ammount of water into it.