Various - Insurance conundrum. - tdc

I sold vehicle A which was my car,to a youngster today who has put it on his parent`s insurance policy.I had been driving vehicle B which belongs to a mate who`s abroad but has kept his insurance current as he`d have had to pay a cancellation fee.I have been driving it on vehicle A`s insurance policy.I have vehicle C sat on the driveway devoid of T&T.

I would like to continue driving vehicle B without having to incur the £35 policy change fee over to vehicle C from vehicle A.

What can I get away with?

Various - Insurance conundrum. - LucyBC

You were presumably driving B on Drive Other Cars benefits on the policy for A. If A has gone you can no longer do so without putting cover on another vehicle - ie incurring the transfer fee.

You do realise you only had third party cover on B don't you? If you had wrecked it or had any accident the insurer would not pay out.

Thanks LucyBC,I will get it sorted before venturing out in the borrowed motor.

Yes,only covered third party but historically it`s been them who have caused any coming together`s,never had a claim against me so hoping to extend my good record :) .

Various - Insurance conundrum. - Peter D

May I ask the OP what age you are. Many insurance companies do not provide DOV if you are under 25/26 years old. You may be better off getting your friend to add you to his policy. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 18/12/2010 at 10:29

Various - Insurance conundrum. - LucyBC

Check your policy to make sure you still have it as well. It's increasingly being removed as insurers try to cut costs to get a better headline position on price comparison sites.

Check your policy to make sure you still have it as well. It's increasingly being removed as insurers try to cut costs to get a better headline position on price comparison sites.

Thanks.Waiting for them to `phone back today as they were too busy to phone back before 8 last night.Meanwhile I`m grounded :( .

Thanks Peter good idea,but the owner only contacts me every so often and is in a far off land living the life of Riley(or O`Riley as he says!)He left in a hurry and isn`t the organised type.Might suggest it when he next makes contact.

I`m ok for being in the over-26`s thanks,should have kept the basic road risk`s going when I left the trade but was caught up in the wake from that failed ins co,in the mid-90s I think it was.Switched to individual policy as no longer had to jump into up to 30 vehicles a day.

Various - Insurance conundrum. - slimshady

It would be worth checking with your Insurers or the actual policy wording as a lot of policies stipulate that the driving other cars cover is subject to you still owning the car specified on the policy. This would in effect mean you are not covered to drive car B or C