What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CRV etc - CRV or not CRV - jimbeau
Soon be time to change my 2002 RAV4 D4D, for another similar "softroader" to handle our tricky farm track access.

Looking into Honda CRVs, reading about notchy manual gearchanges - are they still an issue with latest production?
In general it seems CRV reliability is not upto Honda's par?
any other probs?

Am I right in thinking diesel is probly not the way forward for low mileages (i've got 55k in 8years on the RAV4) because of DMF probs (which I've had with RAV4 :<(() and DPF on newer diesels?

So anything else to consider a contender - IX35? Sonata? others?

Any (helpful) comments, links, pointers gratefully received

Thanks in advance
JimB
CRV etc - CRV or not CRV - SteveLee
CRVs are very reliable - like the RAV4 the only issues tend to affect the diesels and with your mileage you are quite right to stick to petrol engines anyway. In a most un-Hondalike way the petrol has oddles of torque and doesn't need to be revved hard.
The gearchange is notchy but in a metallic positive kind of way so I quite like it. If you buy a two year old or older CRV, ensure the oil in the diffs has been changed to the latest spec oil or they can be noisy.

There's no such thing as a 100% reliable car, but like the RAV4 CRVs have a deserved reputation for reliability - especially considering the class of car which are usually below average in the reliability stakes.
CRV etc - CRV or not CRV - Pica

I run the CRV iDtec Auto and my office is 6 miles from home. The car has 8000 miles on it now (over 9 months) and I have not once seen the warning light asking for a regen.

I do avoid driving to the shops (half a mile away) and walk instead and it gets about a 50 mile motorway blast maybe once a month and the occasional long run. With the Auto I also select D3 if am poodling around locally as this uses only the first 3 gears and therefore keeps the revs up higher. The Honda sales guy told me providing I dont start the car up drive to the next road and stop on a regular basis the car will be fine.

So far the car has been faultless.