What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - jaybee24

Hi

A month ago I changed my insurance and took out a fully comp policy.for my own car.A couple of weeks ago my sister came to our house and said she was going on holiday and would I pick up her car ( also insured fully comp)and bring it home. My dad said to phone Insurance company as he had read I might not be automatically covered.I did and the person I talked to said it would be ok as I would be insured third party to drive her car. On way home I was stopped by police for " routine check" my policy not available so told to produce.When my policy came through it had no mention of driving another car so phoned them only to be told that clause only appied to over 25,s,,Im 24, Have now been offered a fixed penaly for no Insurance...6 points and £200 fine , with my dad and sister as witnesses is it worth pleading not guilty and explaining what happened

Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - LucyBC
The tapes your insurer should have may help - and in any event the court may be persuaded that you have a Special Reasons argument.

Please send me a contact telephone number and I will arrange for a colleague to call you to go through your options.

There is no charge for this service.

The tapes your insurer should have may help - and in any event the court may be persuaded that you have a Special Reasons argument. Please send me a contact telephone number and I will arrange for a colleague to call you to go through your options. There is no charge for this service.

is there a way to send details without posting them here??

Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - BorisTheSpider

Click the Lucy BC banner at the top and fill in your details.

Cheers

Boris (Moderator)

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 06/12/2010 at 12:55

Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - injection doc

any update on this one ? with hopefully a sucessful outcome

Never heard from him so far.
Thank you, I wonder if it was a wind up then or the whole story wasn't told, as it was a very serious issue & the outcome would of been interesting.
ID
Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - james the plumber

hi

most insurance companies record calls "for training purposes". it might be worth getting in touch with the insurance company about this. See if they have any record of your conversation.

regards james

Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - gfewster

This being an instance where the person at the insurance company obviously made a mistake when giving advice on the phone, you can bet your bottom dollar that the tape for that day will have been 'lost' or 'overwritten'.

sorry, I did mean to post when I had heard a bit more, I was told I would need services of a solicitor to obtain record of call made, I was dithering about what to do next when my Dad told me just to phone the company and ask, I did this today and they got back to me and said they had a recording of the wrong advice, they were then very helpful and have both phoned and emaied the local fiscals office telling them they had told me it would be ok to drive the other car, I am now awaiting something from fiscals office telling me the next step as the insurance company have told me there is nothing more they can do, I am going to visit the fiscals office personally on Thursady if I havent heard from them by then,

will post an update then

If they still decide to proceed I am on the point of asking for a special reasons hearing,,,, yes??

only bothered about this because was told if it goes against me I could be fined more and have 8 points put on my licence

Edited by jaybee24 on 14/12/2010 at 23:36

great to hear progress jaybee24. that sounds like you were dealing with quite an honerable insurance company ?
I wish you well & hope it has a good outcome. Please keep us posted.
Its not worth any points on your licence , because its racks up your premium and can effect jobs with company cars so fight it all the way.
I trust you have something in black & white from the insurance company admitting their error ?
Good luck & happy x-mas

Update

went to fiscals office , Fiscal was in court so had to speak to secretary who said case had been put on hold while awaiting confirmation letter from Insurance. , just as well I went in because when I phoned insurance company from the office no request had been recieved asking for a follow up letter to the email. Letter now on its way and fiscals office have said they will phone me on receipt. Secretary says if letter confirms permission given then she thinks that will be end of matter but if obviously fiscal has final say, so will post new update in a couple of days ---hopefully!!

Skoda Fabia - Insurance problem - Collos25

If we do not hear from you they tell me Christmas dinner is OK in Perth prison.

Im beginning to feel like a criminal-- I know Im not the only person to feel sorry for myself but I would have thought quick phone call from the police to my insurance company to verify what I was saying was correct would have saved some tax payers money and a few sleepless nights for myself, I thought they had some duty to investigate all the facts before reporting me for prosecution??

The problem you have is you were not insured and hence are guilty of the offence. However because you were *told* you were insured you may have a "Special Reasons" argument which - if successful - would mean no penalty.

In this case the Fiscal may take a sensible approach and drop the case before court but if this had been in England I don't think it would have been given similar consideration and the CPS would have considered they had a case and left it to the magistrates to decide.

I have realised that and know that is still a possibility and will accept that if it comes my way and hope a special reasons argument will work in my favour, you can be pretty sure in future I will double check things before doing it again

Just a quick update, I havent mentioned it in previous posts but my sister was also reported for allowing me to drive without proper cover she has received a letter saying they will not be proceeding with her case, I havent still heard any more from fiscal and wondering if i should be pursueing the case to find out whats happening or leave well enough alone, can someone tell me how long before I know if case is beyond time limit, been told its six months from being stopped,,true??

Because of the pressure on the court most cases are brought so a "document leading to a summons" is issued automatically just within the six months. They almost always happen at the end of the period.

By my calculations you need not to hear anything before the end of April. I don't think you would be completely clear until mid June as additional time is allowed after the "document leading to a summons" is presented for the actual summons to be issued.

Under no circumstances should you be hopeful of a favourable outcome as early as this in the case.

Received a letter this morning from fiscals office asking me to attend thier office. Went this afternoon expecting the worst, but after a stern lecture from the fiscal he told me that after due consideration .....and given my reasons for driving at the time and received confirmation from my insurance that I had been told it would be ok to drive,,,that they would not be pursueing the case.

of course very relieved ,,but have noted Lucy BC comments and am sure I got off very lightly.

Edited by jaybee24 on 10/02/2011 at 18:41