What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon - X Reg - Fan belt snapped - What other damage? - RedLake

Driving home as usual, when battery warning light came on. 1/2 mile later engine management warning light, then immediately after that , the "terminal" engine warning light. I was on a busy red-route approaching a roundabout and could not pull over safely, so I nursed it another 400 yrds to an exit and stopped in a driveway. Power steering completely gone by then. RAC arrived in 10 minutes, ( in snow and ice - fantastic, or just plain lucky!) - Fan belt had snapped so cleanly it ooked like it had been cut with a knife. RAC man at a loss to explain why, but I had actually gunned hard earlier, to get up out of an icy driveway at work.

He had me drive it carefully for another 2 miles as he followed, and I watched the temp gauge carefully. When it went above 75% I stopped and he towed me the rest of the way home. Pulleys all seem to run freely and engine starts perfectly. RAC dude is coming back tomorrow to fit a new belt.... But might I have done any other damage?... What should I look for?

Cheers guys.

Ford Focus Saloon - X Reg - Fan belt snapped - What other damage? - elekie&a/c doctor

It is possible that something has been thrown up from the road and caught in the pulleys and dislodged/damaged belt.As you were sensible with it,I doubt if there is any further damage.hth

Ford Focus Saloon - X Reg - Fan belt snapped - What other damage? - Robin the Technician

Hi,

You've not mentioned if the belt has been changed before and unfortunately fanbelts get little or no maintenance other than aquick 'look at' during service. I doubt if you have any damage as its rubber compound and your pulleys are metal. I'm sure a new belt will be fine.

Robin the Technician

Ford Focus Saloon - X Reg - Fan belt snapped - What other damage? - RedLake

Thanks for the reassurance guys. RAC guy fitted a new belt today, and pronounced he's satisfied with it. Have driven round the block this evening and all seems fine. Cost me £32.23 in all. Bargain!

Ford Focus Saloon - X Reg - Fan belt snapped - What other damage? - Roly93

A bust fan belt on this car should cause no damage whatsoever...