What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
vw golf diesel - electrical fault - richbev

my vw golf diesel has an electrical fault. it seems to go on to limp mode. i.e the turbo seems to cut out. if i turn off the ignition and back on again the turbo comes back on. it has been on a computer and showed up cam shaft sensor. this was changed but didnt solve the problem. it went to vw and there computer showed the same cam shaft sensor. it was changed but made no differance. they now say they need to strip back the wiring as they think it could be that. im not saying i dont trust vw but they told me a sharan needed the wiring repairing but it turned out to be a temp sensor. seems if the computer doesnt pick it up there stuffed.

today we changed the air mass meter and this helped the car. it ran better but still lost the turbo but less frequently.

any idea,s would be greatly appreciated.

vw golf diesel - electrical fault - elekie&a/c doctor

The problem with computers is that they are very clever but they have no brain.So in your case of engine diagnostics ,the computer cannot differenciate between a faulty sensor or a wiring fault.As far as it knows the cam sensor is not working.Has anyone checked the working/output of the sensor?It is very possible that the sensor has lost its power supply due to a fault in the wiring loom(seen this before on Galaxy/Sharan models with same engine).However ,I am not convinced that fixing this fault will fix your turbo problem.hth