Ford Focus - Ford Focus 03 Ghia 1.8 TDCi - climate control dead - gfewster

Hi guys,
Wondered if anyone could help?

The climate control system on my 2003 Focus (Ghia, 1.8 TDCi 115) has given up.

The dash display does everything it is meant to (buttons light up when pressed, temp numbers in display increase, fan speed indicator display increases) but the heater, blower and air con are all dead. No output at all, although the engine speed reaction is still there when the air con is turned on or off. The screen heaters still work, and the coolant is getting up to temp as normal.

Resistors? Fuses? Switches? Anything particularly common that fails with this set up?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 03 Ghia 1.8 TDCi - climate control dead - elekie&a/c doctor

No common faults on these.In fact very few focus models have climate apart from a few ghias.I would look at the fuses for the heater fan circuit.If these are ok ,then I would think there is a problem with the fan motor or electronic speed module.All access from behind glovebox.hth

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 03 Ghia 1.8 TDCi - climate control dead - gfewster

Bit of an update.

Discovered yesterday on way home that it wasn't totally dead. The heater does work, I just hadn't realised that I'd need to press the button for face level airflow to open the channels and give it some time for the warm air to waft through without blower assistance.

Then the blower started working. It ran for a few seconds and then died. Then 10 minutes later it decided to start working again, and this time ran for 10 minutes or so before dying. It didn't work again after that, and hasn't worked this morning at all.

Strange. Bad earth? Loose connection? Will take it all apart behind the glovebox when I get some daylight. I suppose given that it has worked (even sporadically) then it can't be a dud motor or a fried resistor pack?