1999 4.6 LPG - Range Rover Head Gasket? - PhilTuff

My Rangie seems to have split the HG (or worse!) coolant boiled and blew out dramatically the other day.

Is this a scrap job?

From what I hear it is not going to be worth me repairing, due to having no skills/time/money.

Any thoughts?

1999 4.6 LPG - Range Rover Head Gasket? - injection doc
Its a big job and on reasembly great care has to be taken with the inlet manifold to ensure its fitted 100%
head gasket failure is very common with gas coversions as the rear cylinders run very hot. the failure will normally be nearer on eof the rear cylinders.
seems a shame to scrap unless its a really tired model.
If its been a good runner up untill the failure the why not repair but just be prepared for cracks and may be a replacement radiator as the cores do block causing overheating that can also cause a HG failure

Thanks Doc, I've been told it could be up to 4 Grand to sort the HG and Sleeves and I didn't pay that for the beast!

It's a shame cos it is a nice looking wagon with no rust.

1999 4.6 LPG - Range Rover Head Gasket? - jc2

Another engine? But not a 4.6.

Edited by jc2 on 10/11/2010 at 16:48

1999 4.6 LPG - Range Rover Head Gasket? - injection doc
I would suggest you find a good competent indy to remove the heads & see if its repairable. If the bores are Ok and the heads need a skim and reasmble it shouldn't be too bad.
As a garage I used to offer to take on a job like that and if it got to big for the customer i used to agree to keep the vehicle and repair and sell or use.
See if your repairer would agree to it but make sure you appoint an independant inspector that once its stripped you can get a second opinion, i use to welcome that so the customer new i wasn't pulling the wool over their eyes.
9times out of ten the repair would go ok and be well within budget.
In 20 years I probably only had 30 cars that the repairs were too expensive so we kept the car.

Thanks, good advice.

I will look into this.