What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Transfering video clips from digital cameras - Chris S

My old-fashioned camera has broken and I'm going to replace it with a digital one.

From what I understand most digital cameras have some video capacity but how easy is it to transfer this to a laptop?

Is it normally done using the memory card or do you need some sort of USB device and software?

Transfering video clips from digital cameras - FP

(See my reply in "the other place".)

Transfering video clips from digital cameras - bonzo dog

Hi Chris, you can stick the memory card into the computer if it has a suitable slot; either way the camera will almost certainly come with a suitable camera to USB lead.

The camera will again almost certainly come with suitable software to transfer, store & edit your photos / videos but Windows has a more than adequate software to transfer & store photos & videos. If you're using Windows 7 you will probably have to install Windows Live Photo Gallery which is FOC, which I use to edit my photos. Windows Live Movie Maker is also FOC but I've never done video editing so can't speak as to its capabilities

Good luck

Transfering video clips from digital cameras - injection doc
£30 quid can buy an excellent video to usb convertor complete with software. I have just bought one to take all my old video cam films onto Disc.
A new digital camera now will have a lead to plug into a Pc and transfer photos and most Pc's will also play the video files.
Transfering video clips from digital cameras - Cymrogwyllt
If your computer does not have a suitable slot to insert the card then USB multi card readers are readily available as well as ones specific to a type of card and can be found for peanuts online rather than the in store retail price. Transferring the file is then a case of opening the card folder containing the image/video, opening a destination folder on the computer then drag and drop.

edit: To mods: am I allowed to post a link to a place that I've found to be reliable and competitive please?

Edited by Cymrogwyllt on 18/11/2010 at 18:20

Transfering video clips from digital cameras - Big John
Look out for a camera with HD video (mine is Cannon Ixus 100 - many makes now have HD video as well now). I simply move the SD card from the camera to the PC and can view photos / videos. I also use some superb free software called DVDFlick to burn the video to DVD which downscales from 720p(1280X720) to 576p - still really good quality. Camera SD video (usually 640X480) looks poor in comparison.