What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.8 petrol ford focus - 1.8 petrol focus trying to stall?? - jameshockey

I changed the plugs on both my 1999 focus and my wifes 2002 1.8 petrol focus's at the weekend since then both cars have been trying to stall? It happens when they are warm, both start fine and run ok and the tick over seems ok but from time to time after driving and stopping or slowing down the battery light flickers and then the engine stalls?? The new plugs i fitted were NKG plug's and were the right ones for the engines. The old plugs were quite burnt with a huge gap, maybe 3 - 4mm. the book says 1mm which is what the new plugs are, could this be too small?

James

1.8 petrol ford focus - 1.8 petrol focus trying to stall?? - Dutchie

Hello ,I would open the gap to 2mm see what happens.Hope this helps.Don't tighten the plugs to much or to slack .

1.8 petrol ford focus - 1.8 petrol focus trying to stall?? - injection doc

I would fit ford plugs, I have experineced many times with ford different plugs whether right or wrong cause too much electrical noise under the bonnet & cause the symptoms discribed. I had one once where it had champion plugs & leads on it brandnew and after 3mins would stall of its own accord whilst idling. Fitted ford plugs & leads and it was fine.
For example if you used non AC plugs in 24v senators the autobox would change gear on its own at high speed on a motorway & this was again caused by too much electrical noise under the bonnest sending stray signals down the auto box loom! There is a very long technical topic on that very problem so any one who argues about a plug is a plug doesn;'t know one end of a plug to another

1.8 petrol ford focus - 1.8 petrol focus trying to stall?? - Dutchie

Ford have their own plugs interesting could be the answer injecton doc always learning.:)