What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1998 - Fiesta Handbrake Efficiency - Quack
Hi all,
I have a 1998 Mk4 Ford Fiesta but have been having some trouble with handbrake efficiency. Sorry it's a long story! My MOT was due and the rear brakes were getting worn so my girlfriend's dad fitted new rear brake shoes, new pistons, a new handbrake cable and adjusted everything as best he could.

Took it for it's MOT last month and it failed on handbrake efficiency, the reason the garage gave was "you fitted a non-genuine handbrake cable, it's too short which affects handbrake efficiency".

This seemed a little odd - how can a cable being to short make the handbrake less efficient? Anyway, they cleaned and degreased the drums and it squeaked through the retest.

Unfortunatly I live in a hilly area and often have a full car which can make hill-starts rather exciting as the handbrake won't hold it. So I'd quite like to get it sorted.

Following the warning from the garage I went to the Ford garage and explained my situation, they couldn't explain how a non-genuine cable would affect efficiency and said either a cable fitted the car or it didn't.

So what could my problem be? Any suggestions on how to solve it?

Currently my handbrake travels around 8 clicks if I in a standard amount of effort - but goes to around 11-12 if I try harder. Could simply readjusting this solve my problems?
Ford Fiesta 1998 - Fiesta Handbrake Efficiency - piston power

The brake shoes have a automatic adjuster which is well known to be rubbish!

They wear and often don't work very well automatically, Your supposed to pump the brake pedal and they move into position but often they don't

1998 i expect these are original and need replacing asap, As for the cable unless the wrong one has been fitted i can't see a non genuine part been fitted will be the problem, The handbrake needs these automatic adjuster to work so it will hold the car on a hill.