VW golf gti - cutting out when warmed up, speedo jumping, - SHWA29

hello there! I own a vw golf mk3 gti. 2.0 8v.

The problem occurs when the engine is warmed up, you can pretty much pinpoint when its going to happen, after about 15 mins of driving the car will cut out(at speed), and wont even fire up when you use the momentum to bump it. it just judders violently and cuts out anyway.

the needle also jumps up and down whilst doing this, after waiting at the roadside for about 5mins, the car will start up fine and drive very nicely, but sure enough after a few minutes of driving it will do the same thing.

also when i leave the car standing from start with the engine running, just when you would expect the coolant fan to kick in , the engine cuts out.

i've been told it could be many things but dont want to fork out loadsa cash on the wrong parts

heres a list of possible problems i have been told of;

crank sensor,idle control valve,air lock in rad, coolant temp sensor, hall sender, throttle body leak and an ecu relay???????????????

can you please shed some light and help me find a solution, before i just scrap the b***** thing???

VW golf gti - cutting out when warmed up, speedo jumping, - ggh1

Physicaly check the wiring insulation at the head of the chankshalf sensor.

VW golf gti - cutting out when warmed up, speedo jumping, - ggh1

typo error, I ment crankshalf sensor.

VW golf gti - cutting out when warmed up, speedo jumping, - Stropley

I had this same problem - AGG engine type - and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. I bought a cheap one off the internet first but this didn't work - so I bought a new one from VW and the car has run fine since. Your symptoms are pretty much the same as mine so I'd pretty much guarantee that's it.

The wiring on my original sensor looked & felt fine too so don't go by that alone - get the output checked if you don't want to swap it out without knowing. This will cost you £20-40 at an auto-electrician.

Don't waste the money on a cheap part like I did - that was £25 down the drain. Also it takes over an hour under the car to fit & you don't want to do that twice. Good Luck.