vw passat se 20v Year 2000, 150,000 Miles - red oil light and coolant light - Arty 1

Just part exchanged today for this vw. Red oil and coolant light came on and the red stop light. I topped up the oil and coolant and drove car home. The car seems to be in good condition with the last owner having the car since 2003. The car drove very smoothly but the oil warning light intermittently came on and off, but finally stayed off after 28 miles approx. My total journey was 43 miles. The car has been off the road for two months as owner bought a newer vehicle and didn't need this one as well. I have been told to let the engine totally cool down. I will start it tomorrow morning and see if the warning lights come on. (hopefully not). Presumably I shouldn't drive it until I check whether it is serious or just a faulty switch. Would it be fair to say that if it was serious the car would'nt have driven the distance? As you may guess I am new to forums and I also know nothing about cars.

vw passat se 20v Year 2000, 150,000 Miles - red oil light and coolant light - Collos25

You have a serious engine problem or a faulty pressure switch I would go for the first and when its the second it will be a relief but eitherway I think I would take it back and get my money back.

vw passat se 20v Year 2000, 150,000 Miles - red oil light and coolant light - madf

Why do you think the last owner stopped using it?

Because it has a serious engine problem... - and no-one has told you.

Ask for your moneyt back now...

Edited by madf on 29/09/2010 at 18:04