What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - denbo

After 5 days in France and 3 tanks of the new E10 French Petrol the engine started to vibrate with a noticeable loss of power. On return to the UK and using British petrol the car is the same. New plugs have not improved it. The engine seems to idle normally when listening from the front but standing at the rear the exhaust note is decidedly rough. Any suggestions of what to do next. There are articles about the petrol being corrosive and damaging metal tanks and pipes but not to the engine. Could the valves have been damaged? Would replacing the fuel filter if I could find it, be worth doing?

Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - Collos25

I very much doubt it has anything to do with the petrol more than likely a disintergrating cambelt pully.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - tdc

Do the old "screwdriver to the ear" trick,amazing how it amplifies rattles&knocks.Used it dozens of times to locate problems on cars,bikes,tractors etc.

Put the plastic end to your ear whilst placing the flat blade to whatever you want to listen to,preferably without getting it caught up in any pulleys&belts.Not recommended for use near ignition systems&doesn`t work very well for tracing suspension orientated clunks!One day I will invest in a stethoscope....but enough about my personal life!

In the dark under the bonnet,check for arcing from the plug leads/cap.Jiggle leads around whilst engine`s running,looking out for blue sparks.Had similar problem and mine was a faulty plug lead on No2 cyl.

Fuel filter on my 2000 zetec is in front of rear axle,n/s.Original,120,000 miles.Found it when replacing the brake pipes,removed metal clip with pliers and double cable-tied back in position.

Assuming you haven`t picked up bad fuel from contaminated forecourt tanks(It does happen,this year one locally had such a problem after drain overflowed and several vehicles ground to a halt after filling up)then replace your fuel filter(£4-£9) check for gunge in the line, bung some fuel additive(£10-£15)in your tank.A mate took his `04 Focus td in the other week for MOT and it failed on emission's so the tester poured some "Forte" in his tank,told him to drive around the block,stuck the probe up the exhaust and it flew through.Cleans petrol injections too.

If tank is contaminated you will have to either remove it or pump contents out before doing the above.Having drained many tanks I honestly don`t know how some vehicles manage to run.Probably the norm in some countries.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - denbo

Thank you for your reply. I will try the screwdriver to see if there are any knocks. I did not suspect a camshaft pulley. The poor running happened after using the second tank of French petrol so it would be a startling co incidence if it was the camshaft pulley. I don't think that it was contaminated petrol but rather that the new petrol in France is incompatible with cars pre 2000. There have been many reports recently of cars being damaged. The new petrol is 10% ethanol which apparently is corrosive to metal. I will search for the filter.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - Collos25

I live in Germany and travel through France on a regular basis and have never heard of cars having problems because of the fuel that does not mean you have not filled filled up with some contaminated fuel but I still thing its a camshaft pulley as the exact same fault on the exact same type of car was diagnosed as a camshaft pulley and repaired on a german tv program a couple of weeks ago.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 1.25 Zetec 1996 model. - Damage to Engine Following trip to France - boggles

I think the fuel fill was just a coincedence, as most UK fuel is now about 5% ethanol or some "green" component. So another 5% is not likely to cause problems really. My best guess is a coil problem.