What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon 1.6 zetec - temp gauge - smart steve

1,my temp gauge has suddenly started to jump to hot from normal for a few seconds then back down to normal, i have changed the cht sensor but it still does it.

2, on switching off the engine i have noticed that the fuel & temp gauges both go down then suddenly flick back to halfway & stay there. any ideas? thanks steve.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.6 zetec - temp gauge - Singlish

What age is the focus-if it is 2002 /2003 I am sure the cause is dry circuit board joints in the instrument panel. (Featured on BBC 1 Watchdog).

A couple of years ago Ford did have a special price for replacement of the whole panel £100 I seem to remember.

Singlish

Ford Focus Saloon 1.6 zetec - temp gauge - smart steve

many thanks singlish.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.6 zetec - temp gauge - Hooozey

Did you resolve your problem Steve?

I have just started a new thread about my 2001 focus that seems to be doing exactly as you describe in (1). I don't get the problem in (2) though. I'm sure this is not an overheating problem as the gauge only hits the hot position for seconds and then returns to the normal position.

Was thinking of changing the CHT sensor but sounds like it may not fix the problem...

Ford Focus Saloon 1.6 zetec - temp gauge - JoFo

Re changing the CHT sensor - I have the same problem (temp gauge 'shooting' into the red zone then quickly dropping back) - I changed the sensor but the temp gauge still acts the same. The engine does not seem to overheat and this situation only occurs when the engine is under load when going up hill. This condition does not degrade the engine performance (see handbook) and no error codes are shown on the EMU memory (see handbook for how to check these codes and the web for the interpretation of them) Any ideas anybody please?

Note - If you want to change the sensor - My engine is 1.6 auto 2002 - the CHT sensor is best bought from a Ford dealer as there appear to be a number different ones - cost £23. The sensor lies between the 2nd and 3rd spark plugs and is situated in a well set into the cylinder head. Firstly, the electrical connection is released by gently probing with a thin long screwdriver (checkout a similar connection type in the engine bay first). The sensor can then be unscrewed with a box socket spanner of approx 19mm. However, the upper plastic sensor body is slightly larger than this size so your socket may need to be cut back somewhat. A US blog suggests tieing back the sensor cable clear of the surrounding plug cables (EMF interference?) and I have done this but it did not solve the problem. All idea much appreciated...............