What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - Moonwrap

Original oil for this car was API SG in either 5W30 or 10W30.

It's increasingly difficult to avoid 'upgrading' to fully synthetic oils, so last oil change I chose Castrol Magnatec 5w30.

Now Castrol are recommending the even more expensive Castrol Edge 5w30 and the usual consensus (forum recommended) oil is Mobil 1 (I imagine ESP).

The car does have a bit of an oil leak from the gaskets as a mechanic seems to have not fully tightened the heads after a cam belt change - so the gaskets are to be changed soon.

Question is I've come across the Ford own brand oils and started to think well the engine is the same as the Ford Probe V6 engine. I've asked a Ford garage and they suggested the E formula which is the semi-synthetic, but I was under the impression that it was not a good idea to go backwards to mineral or semi-synthetics once you have been using a fully synthetic oil. But I've also seen other people say it's OK.

I think I'd like to stick with the fully synthetic, so can someone in the 'know' tell me if they think the Ford formula F 5W30 would be a good choice for my car?

Also does anyone know who actually makes this oil? What it really is that I would be buying?

I've also been led to believe that the newer oils like the Magnatec now really have engine friction reducers in them, rather than being a separate entitiy (such as Activ8, Slick50 etc).

Does anyone know if the Formula F has these properties? Or would I be purchasing a more 'basic' fully synthetic oil? I suspect that the Formula F is a very well engineered oil in fact, but just need to be sure!

With many thanks in advance!

:)

Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - Moonwrap
Can anyone help or does anyone have an opinion please?

With many thanks!
:)
Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - noby76

Hi Moonwrap came accros this thread and thought i'll help. I have the ford cougar 2.5 V6 which is pretty much the same engine as your MX6 and was told by a ford mechanic the ford formula f oil is made by castrol.

look behind any ford formula f's engine oil label and you will see it says product of BP Petrolium. BP Petrolium makes Castrol Magnatec 5W 30 A1. so I am guessing the reason why Castrol oils cost more is the brand name and maybe a little additive they add but not sure . My engine is currently running Ford Formula F but was prevoisly on Mobil Super S 3000 5W 30 I got from halfords which also meets fords M2C913-A designed for duratec V6's. but I must admit I got more mpg (1-3mpg) more not that iam currently breaking my bank and quieter engine revs on the Mobil than the current Formula F.

I havent used Castrol 5W 30 yet but my guess will be Castrol will also give better mpg and quieter engine when reving from my expereince on Mobil. but engine performance is the same on both previous Mobil and my current formula f oil. given the option I will again pay the extra £10 for Mobil when my car is due its oil change and thats because engine was more quiter but if this wont bother you save a tennr and go for formula f as engine performnce is no different.

Hope this helps.

Edited by noby76 on 09/02/2011 at 15:19

Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - jc2

Ford oil is Texaco.

Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - noby76

mate do your research before you start typing ok. check this link out.

http://www.ford-esklep.pl/pl/p/Olej-silnikowy-syntetyk-FORD-FORMULA-F-5W-30-1l-14E9EE/1742

click on back label on the pic and check line number 13 and 18 that says product of GmbH BP (language is in German tho). BP owns Castrol . BP also makes ford formula F engine oils so ford formula f = Castrol but specially desinged for ford company thats all.

Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - Falkirk Bairn

Costco is £25 for Mobil 1 diesel or petrol

Mazda MX6 2.5l V6 1995 - Ford Formula F 5w30 oil ok for Mazda Mx-6 2.5l V6? - SteveLee
Castrol fully synth isn't actually fully-synth - they actually managed to get the categorisation rules changed so they can call their fancy semi-synths fully synthetic. Halfords oil is Castrol in disguise so buy that instead if you want to save a few quid.

You will do no harm whatsoever switching between types of oil - those sort of problems are long gone. CarLube and Comma oil is cheap and is perfectly good. Only Mobil 1 really stands out as "the best" oil (check out the impressive cold pour figures) but you do pay through the nose for it. The rather average cold pour temperature for Castrol products shows them to be the over-priced non-synths they are.

Alternatively why not fly the flag, buy a bulk drum of Morris lubricant's brew- as good as anything on the market and a decent little company toboot. Their SL grade fully synth (which will be fine for SG designed engines) Multilife G-TEC Synthetic 5w/30 is £30 for 5 litres or £110 for 25 litres - that's for fully synth. www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/Scripts/prodview....C

Morris also do a VW spec standard and variable service oil (505/507?) for a very reasonable price for all you VW fans.

No I don't work for them - just a happy long-standing customer!

I agree with you mate Mobil Super S 3000 5liter cost me £27 from halfords which meets ford M2C913A for duratec V6's and got more mpg (1-3 mpg more and quieter engine but performance was the same so might ditch formula f £17 (ebay) 5litre just to have a quiet engine.