What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - rfm943

I wonder if anyone on the forum has come across this before. I have an Accord that I bought in May 2008 at 12 months old. In February 2009 at 21000 miles I had a severe grating noise from the brakes and had to have Rear Discs and Pads fitted. The car has been in for a service this week and I was told that it needed these doing again.I cannot understand why the rear brakes are wearing so soon whilst the front ones are lasting much better

On the previous occasion when this occurred I contacted Honda UK Customer Services as I had discovered that this was a common problem in the USA on the 2008 onwards (new model) Accord but they sent the usual bland reply and I got nowhere. My previous Accord (a 2005 model) had no such problems in the 50K miles that I drove with it.

Otherwise the car is excellent but I am not looking forward to another £250 bill in about 18 months time

Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - Collos25

If you have to pay then why on earth are you paying £250.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 23/09/2010 at 17:00

Unfortunately that is the standard Honda Happiness (???) Menu price for that job. Perhaps I should have had it done at an independent.

Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - Gotanoldhondar

Hello,i have a dtec Accord on 28000mls it had its second service in May and had the

rear pads replaced at 23000mls which i asked about and was told it is about right,but

a great car i love it.

Yes - I have been very happy with my car too but this brake issue seems to me to be an exceptional situation and there is definitely a problem here in my mind. I was hoping that a fair number of people would have had the same experience and would have felt the same so that some kind of concerted representation could have been made to Honda but it appears that my situation is exceptional.

Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - mark.b
to save having to replace the discs in future can you not do the sensible thing and check the pads through the wheel when the mileage approaches,a torch might help with the inspection
Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - captain chaos

I find it difficult to believe any car would require rear pads and discs replaced at such a low mileage unless you towed a flat bed trailer with a Hummer on the back on a daily basis :)

I find it difficult to believe any car would require rear pads and discs replaced at such a low mileage unless you towed a flat bed trailer with a Hummer on the back on a daily basis :)

Yes - it makes you wonder whether the dealership is just looking for any excuse to do work - they tried to get me to agree to change the tyres as well but I refused that one for the moment. I have used them for a considerable time but will probably not do so again now that the car is out of warranty.

There was another issue as well - the CD storage box on the gear lever console rattles on uneven roads. I mentioned this at the last service (when the car was still under warranty) and they did something which cured it for a time. However it returned a couple of months ago and I asked them to take another look. They came back to me and said that they would have to charge nearly £100 for the job. When I said that it was the same fault that was supposed to have been repaired under warranty and that their repairs were supposed to be guaranteed for 12 months they refused point blank, saying that they had only looked at it last time as a favour and that it was not an actual repair job. In any case, if it had been a manufacturing defect it would have shown up in the first 12 months. However they suggested contacting Honda Customer Services to see if they would authorise them to do it. So much for the Honda Happiness scheme!

Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - catsdad

I had a 54 reg as a company car and it need new rear pads and discs at about 32k miles. It came on very suddenly and loudly, there was no gradual deterioration or slight noise that became worse. I usually keep cars to about 60k/4 years and this is the only one in twenty years to have needed new brakes so I am not heavy on them. Done by our in-house garage so definitely needed doing. I understood from somewhere (probably this site) it was a common problem on an otherwise very good car

Honda Accord Saloon 2007 - Honda Accord - Rear Brake Wear - F14 JSB

I believe the issue still exists.

I have one of the last MK7 Accord Sport GT, I had all four discs and pads replaced under warranty after buying the vehicle at 38K and at 42K the discs were warped badly.

The dealer was very helpful and agreed to change them as a goodwill gesture as I had commented on the strange braking during the test drive.

I have owned an '06 plate before, so knew what to expect.

What I did'nt expect is to be turning up at the dealer again 5K later with the same complaint. They will not change under warranty, stating I will have to put up with it, until they are due for replacement and then pay for the full set, only to do 5K wobble free miles again ??

I am taking this to Honda UK, this is, for the want of a better expression, total and utter rubbish.

Obviously a parts defect, the reason they are not changing the pads and discs, is there are an awful lot of sets out there to change !

I'll keep you posted with progress.