Ford Focus - turbo problems - richbev

my 1.8 diesel focus 56 plate just started making like a wooshing noise when i rev the car. here,s how it goes.

it sounds like its coming from the air vents inside the car when driving. this only happens when we rev the car hard and the turbo is working. i thought maybe a ppipe had come off on the induction side of things but doesnt seem to have. any idea,s folks please.

Ford Focus - turbo problems - Glyn1

Hello,

Did you find out what this was? My 1.8 diesel 56 plate focus has just started doing EXACTLY the same thing!

Glyn

Ford Focus - turbo problems - dieselnut

Check the large diameter air pipes between the turbo / intercooler / inlet for splits or loose clips.

Splits will only open up under pressure so won't be easy to find. Look for telltale sprays of oil that will have left a mark.

Ford Focus - turbo problems - Glyn1

Well I did as you said and there was a split in one of the pipes so I picked one up from the local Ford garage today for £45 and fitted it. Problem solved! Runs like a dream....and I thought I had a big bill on it's way!

Let me know what your favourite charity is and i'll give them what I saved on the labour charge.

Thanks for your help.

Pleased you got it sorted.

Ford Focus - turbo problems - honestdave23
Hi Dieselnut,

I've got a 56 plate1.8d Smax. Same problem, whooshing noise from dash when pressure builds. Sounds like leaky pipe. Problem is, i've had a look and can't find it. I'm guessing the split only shows under pressure. Have you any hints/tips/accurute possible location to help me out?

The pressurised air from the turbo usually has some black engine oil carried with it that has got passed the turbo bearings. This usually leaves a telltale mark on something opposite where the split is & possibly an oil trail on the air pipe itself.

Ford Focus - turbo problems - MaxC

MY car 1.8 diesel 56 Reg, just when I drove home, it started doing exactly same thing you guys mentioned there...... I was worried it was the turbo.... and will cost a lot. I think I need to try to find the split and try to fix it myself.

Ford Focus - turbo problems - MaxC

Thanks Guy, I have sorted the problem - it is the split on pipe. Useful info, cheers!