What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - retgwte

Saw one of those big Fords that come without a spare wheel at the side of the motorway with a shredded tyre, no way was an aerosol in the boot going to be much use to him, wonder how long the makers will get away without providing spares

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - jc2

On some models,Ford supply a spare at NO cost if requested when you order the vehicle.

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Armstrong Sid

Trouble is, many people aren't aware of this problem yet, so they wouldn't think about a spare (or lack of) until it's too late and they are stuck at the side of the road.

Asking for one when you order it is ok, provided you know the option exists.

And what about second/third owners down the line? If the first owner didn't get a free spare, is the next owner going to fork out for one because they realise the potential problem

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 16/09/2010 at 10:10

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - jc2

Heard a peculiar noise the other day-a 4x4 went past with one of it's rear tyres scattering pieces of rubber in all directions-driver must have been able to feel it but was just ignoring?.Yes,it did have a spare(on the tailgate).

Edited by jc2 on 16/09/2010 at 11:59

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Paul G1pdc

my sisters got a mini,,,,the most technical thing she does (once a year) is stick air in the tyres. there local supermarket has a free compressed air tyre machine, you just type in the pressure you want and connect it to the valve it does the rest....she holed her rear tyre getting into the bay next to the machine....yep ripped the tyre and no spare...was stuck in the bay for 2 hrs until she got her hubbie turned up to remove the tyre and take it to a fast fit center

friends have a rav4 t180 with run flats....yep tore a tyre on a gate post.....car left there for 2 days until they could find a new tyre....(toyota £250)

and some guys at work have civics.....

hmm will this put up the cost of my AA membership when they get fed up being called out to cars without spare wheels.

hmm i love the full size spare in my 11 year old volvo.....its fitted in the boot so doesn't rot or go rusty...like the wheels fitted to old 306/fiesta etc etc....

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Dutchie

We had a spare tyre with our focus the skinny one,upgraded to the full spare for free.The only thing lost some boot space less height due to the bigger tyre.I don't like driving on the continent without a full spare.Most of the tyre punctures i've had has been in town driving.I reckon about four punctures in thirty years of driving so not many.The brother in law has got a can in his boot Citroen C5 he's happy with it.

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Andy P

I wonder how many people on the roads today actually know how to change a wheel? I suspect a large proportion will simply phone their respective breakdown service or parter and wait.

My BMW has RFTs and so far only one has needed replacing - travelling along the M53, warning light came on. Slowed to 50mph and continued to work. Called mobile tyre service - replaced six hours later. A friend who has a Auris gashed the inside wall of a rear tyre - no spare, only a can of goo that singularly failed to fix it - again, mobile tyre service required.

I'm beginning to wonder why we cant have foam-filled tyres and split rims so once the tread has gone, you take the rim apart and put a new tyre on. That way, you can get multiple punctures and not have to worry.

Edited by Andy P on 16/09/2010 at 13:39

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - colinh
"...A friend who has a Auris gashed the inside wall of a rear tyre - no spare..."

I think Toyota now include a spacesaver with all versions
none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Xantiaman

No spare would worry me though am happy with a spacesaver.

A while ago I had a run of three punctures within a few months. Two occured on the A14 and it would have been suicidal to try and change the tyre were I was. By the time I got to a lay by the tyre was shredded and beyond the help of any aerosol.

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - retgwte

Re "is the next owner going to fork out for one because they realise the potential problem" only if there is space for a spare wheel, some of the big new fords have no wheel well and no space to put a spare tyre unless you want it taking up normal boot space

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Singlish

I believe, that if your car (e.g New Ford Fiesta) doesn't come with a spare wheel, you also have no jack or wheel brace! Expensive if as a second owner, you decide you would feel happier with a spare wheel!

Singlish

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - gordonbennet
It's all down to the customer, if no one buys the things they'll soon stick a proper spare in, if they can't be bothered to research the likely cost and availability of replacement tyres (and servicing) before parting with their hard earned then they will get ripped off.

Same with used cars, no spare wheel or gold plated runflats means i won't be buying it.

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - seasiders rock

Our new Punto Evo arrived in July, again no spare, aerosol and a compressor.

£35 on the options list for a space saver, which we specified.

I work nights in a rural location and no way would i rely on a repair kit.

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - johnnyrev

When ordering our new Doblo, I made sure I specced a full size spare for an extra 100 quid. Otherwise it was just a can of foam, which is a bit mean of Fiat, especially when there is a cradle under the boot for a full size spare.

I have had 3 flats in last 3 years and on each occasion was very glad to be able to change the wheel and continue my journey.

Are manufacturers saving money or saving weight to cut the CO2 figures?

none - no spare just an aerosol at the side of the road - Armstrong Sid

Interesting variation on this theme.

I've just read the Road Test of the new SEAT Alhambra which is on the columns to the right of this forum. Guess what is included......

"Because there is no room for a spare wheel, SEAT has adopted a Type Pressure Monitoring System, but instead of runflat tyres has gone for a tyre sealant inside the tyre carcasses to seal small punctures. The first time a car manufacturer has tried this"

You have been warned

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 17/09/2010 at 12:45