Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - ladyboss812
Hi all,

Ive got a1.8 mondeo that is overheating no matter what I do (although the needle only goes over the halfway mark at low speeds/at idle) I drove it 16 miles last night and the needle soared skyward only whilst in slow traffic/idling The hoses are all intact, there is no gunk in the system (very recently flushed through several times and has new coolant in system). Ive bought and fitted a new thermostat to no avail. new expansion tank cap too.
A mate has suggested fittting a new temp gauge sender unit -which I will try too- but does anyone have any other suggestions? No one seems to know whats going on.

Many thanks in advance

LB
Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - Dutchie

Hello,Iam guessing a bit here your mate might be right you might be getting a false reading somewhere.When the gauge soared skyward did you stop the car and had a look under the bonnet.?If you did was everything ok ?

Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - bathtub tom

Is the radiator fan cutting in?

Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - Peter.N.

If its only happening in slow traffic I would suspect that your cooling fan/s are not working.

Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - ladyboss812
Thanks for the replies, I took it out yesterday and it did what it does (overheat) checked under the bonnet, and it is 'actually' overheating - not just a false reading then. And the fan doesnt seem to 'cut in' as often as I feel it should at idle.
probably a faulty fan sensor then?

Thanks again ;-)
Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - Peter D

Does the fan cut in at all. Regards Peter

Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - Paul G1pdc

could the water pump failure cause this.

are the impellors on the mondeo made from plastic like some of the audi ones. Audi had well know issues with the impellors falling off the pump.

Mondeo 1.8l 52 plate - Overheating and cant work it out!?! - madf

If the fan does not work:

Tests in order of ease: and expense and logic.

1. Fuse

2. Wiring at plugs - corrosion. Make and break several times after cleaning up. Check by disconnecting plug at temperature sensor and shorting wires in plug together with ignition on. Beware high current drain.. Fan should run - if fuse OK. If not, circuit problem...

3. Temperature coolant sensor... Easy check: multimeter across it when engine cold, then engine hot. Compare readings..

(Been there done it several times).