What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - krisruddick

anyone know anything about this, i have a loud vibrating noise coming from the back of my car that gets louder with speed. my cousin seems to think its a wheel bearing but i aint got a clue, anyone wise to this???

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - piston power

Jack up the wheels and spin them individually can you hear a rumbling noise?, Any play in the bearing if you waggle the wheel side to side up and down?

Also the tyres are they worn equally & not distorted this can have the same effect.

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - Paul G1pdc

WHEEL BEARING,,, my sister in law has a 55 plate focus with the same issue, she bought her first ever "what car" mag last week as it had a buyers guide on her car...and guess what....yep it advises buyers to check wheel bearings as they are a common ware issue.

her car has covered 65k from new with one owner. her...

quote to fix £260 from a main dealer.

paul.

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - Armstrong Sid

Don't know if this will apply in all cases, but bear it in mind.

I had a wheel bearing go on a SEAT Leon a couple of years ago. It was a grinding noise during certain cornering moves.

Went to a main dealer; they drove it and said "yes, it's a wheel bearing gone". But they couldn't be absolutely certain which side it was - "seems like the nearside because it makes the noise when you turn a certain direction, but we can't be certain until we take the old one off"

Their quote was a bit high so I went to an indy who I trusted. They came to the same conclusion, but again "can't be 100% certain which side it is because when we spin both wheels jacked up, you can't tell". So they took a gamble and replaced the near side bearing.

You know what's next. Noise still there; turned out to be the other side. So I had to go back for another fitting. A slightly unecessary £150.

Is there really no certain way of identifying which bearing has gone, before stripping it down?

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - madf

Is there really no certain way of identifying which bearing has gone, before stripping it down?

I would imagine:

a rolling road would help.

Doing more than 5 minutes inspection and deliberately choosing the wrong one would be my real answer...

And why?

Cos I have repalced wheel bearings on other cars in my 40 years of mechanicking - and NEVER the wrong one...So if I can, they can.. if they could be bothered...

Edited by madf on 08/09/2010 at 12:56

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - Armstrong Sid

Cos I have repalced wheel bearings on other cars in my 40 years of mechanicking - and NEVER the wrong one...So if I can, they can.

madf I'm sure you are absolutely correct, and I was a bit surprised at what I was told back at the time.

Thing is, in both cases they did a test drive of the car with me in it; so on both occasions I was there to hear what they were hearing at the time

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 08/09/2010 at 13:42

Ford Focus Saloon - loud vibrating noise from rear of car - krisruddick

thanks for advice, ill let my cousin look at it, he said pretty much the same as you.