What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renaul Megane Coupe (02) - Cam belt gone - AGAIN!!!! - dowf

Hi,

I have the mis-pleasure of my cam belt snapping again and causing £££'s worth of damage. I only had it replaced 2 years ago....

Is this common or is the garage that replaced the first one at fault for not replacing it properly??

Renaul Megane Coupe (02) - Cam belt gone - AGAIN!!!! - Peter.N.

How many miles had you covered and did they give you any reason for it breaking?

How many miles had you covered and did they give you any reason for it breaking?

Since it breaking the last time, I've done approx 25 - 30k miles. The garage are very reluctant to investigate the breakage any further due to labour costs etc. They have taken the cover off and can see that the belt has snapped. This is not the same garage that changed the belt originally

Renaul Megane Coupe (02) - Cam belt gone - AGAIN!!!! - madf

This suggests that last time the job was done:

the pulleys were misaligned.

Or the tensioner was not replaced..

Chances are something was worn... and not replaced and has now died.

You did insist last time all tensioners and idler pulleys were replaced? If not....

Or the cam belt was sub standard.. you get get a recognised barnd name.

?

Was it a back street garage wot did th job,guv?

Edited by madf on 17/08/2010 at 15:06

Honestly didn't realise that I would need to spell it out to the garage to replace all tensioners and pulley's...... I would have thought that they would check those as a matter of course as the car arrived into them on the back of a recovery wagon with the belt snapped and damaged valves.....

We're not talking back street garage but not main dealer either. The garage was a franchise of a well known brand of repair garages.

I'm not alone in thinking that the first repair was carried out sub-standard and that i should interrogate the first garage and ask exactly what they have done....???

Your thoughts please........

Renaul Megane Coupe (02) - Cam belt gone - AGAIN!!!! - jc2

Too late now-too many miles,too much time.

Renaul Megane Coupe (02) - Cam belt gone - AGAIN!!!! - bimmer-driver

Wouldn't have thought you'd be able to argue sub standard if it lasted 2 years. Have you got a receipt which states what exactly was changed? If the tensioners weren't changed then you have no comeback. If they were changed, well its a grey area. Technically its out of warranty, so you're still on your own. However, you may be able to get some goodwill from the garage. Arguing faulty, if its a Gates belt that was fitted will mean normally a Gates inspector coming to inspect the car. They're that confident in the product. However, he may be able to see if its been fitted properly. Then you may have an argument. But on the whole I think you'll struggle. These 16v engines need a cambelt kit every 36000 miles AT THE LATEST. They're just a carp design.