What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra H Estate, - Which car?(6 mth baby)safe,automatic,low insurance - nainital

Hi,

For the last 2 months we have been struggling to decide on a car.

We have a 6 month baby and except for a monthly 200K drive on motorway most of our drive will be within London. No preference for any specific car.

Main consideration in selection are:

a) Safety (most important - euro ncap 5)

b) Low insurance (4-6 group / 1.4-1.6 engine) since I have held a license for only a few months

c) Automatic (mainly for city driving)

d) Approx 3 yr old / 30K / from a network dealer for 5K but can go up to 7K

Based on these we short-listed Ford-Fusion but then realized that boot space was too small to hold pram. Also some forums suggested that Euro Ncap 5 rating of small cars was not comparable as compared to family. So are mostly looking at small family car segment

We then saw the following:

Ford Focus ( somehow not very convinced - no specific reason )

Kia C'eed ( Automatic is not popular),

Qashqai (very expensive, Auto available in 2.0 engine),

Civic& Corolla (expensive)

Mazda3, SX4 & Fabia ( euroncap rating 4)

Megane ( seems to have maintenance problems) ,

Nissan Note ( euroncap rating 4)

Vauxhall Zafira & Prius (high insurance) ,

We are now thoroughly confused and at the moment our only short-list is Vauxhall Astra (hatchback or saloon)

Please can you suggest which vechicle should we go for. Any feedback / advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help.

-VA

Vauxhall Astra H Estate, - Which car?(6 mth baby)safe,automatic,low insurance - Sam49

Hi there

I don't thing the Astra is a bad choice at all. I've driven scores of these vehicles as hire cars through work and I quite like them. They are a comfortable, refined and straightforward proposition. Only drawbacks I can think of are fiddly buttons for the heater and stereo and a lack of storage space for bits and bobs. And the bizarre indicator stalks, but I would compromise that. Go for at least Club spec to ensure full set of airbags and air con.

So for your purposes I think they would be fine, though I would recommend the estate as the hatch's boot is not huge. The estate looks better as well (I lament the reluctance of manufacturers these dasy to build "small estates" ). One thing I would say is that most automatic Astras I've driven are 1.8s, not seen as many 1.6s. maybe someone with more knowledge could clear that one up. 1.6 manuals are fine all rounders.

I would not discount the Focus though. Again, pretty straightforward, probably a nicer interior and better storage space but a bit less refinement. There's a lot of talk about a Focus being a better drivers' car etc but that is irrelevant to this situation. It would be a case of try and see which you prefer.

Other than that, I think your initial list covered it. My father has a latest shape Corolla Estate. Rare as anything but he rates it the best car he's ever had. He also has a much newer Focus Estate but prefers the Toyota, so if you can find one have a look.

Hope this helps