What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help please with bump in work car park...girl claiming more damage than i caused. - RattyRyan

Hi. I had an unfortunate incident yesturday in my work car park. My car wouldnt start so had to push it back to get start leads to the engine. When i pushed it back my abs wouldnt work as the engine was off so no brakes. As a result i bumped into some girls car and dented her front left side wing. So i went back into work and asked at reception whos car it was. They made a call on the radio and some girl came out. I showed her to her car and described what happened. I said i would pay for the costs rather than going for insurance. She then pointed out some marks near the headlight which had red paint and claimed i did that also. My car is silver and so is hers. All i had done was a dent directly above the wheel and minute scratches. She has an 02 plate vw polo. She had a few bumps all round the car and scratches. She went on to say her father works in a garage and that it would cost £600+ and she would take it there in the morning. I wasnt in the mood to argue and was waiting for her father to say it would cost 100/150 max.

So i saw her the next day and she said her father told her to go to another garage in which they said it would cost 500/600 and she wanted to go through insurance. I know this is a lie and she must know someone within the garage who is going to pull a fast one.

So i don't know what to do now. The accident happened in the private work car park. So am i even liable ?

Also i want to pay rather than lose my no claims bonus...but i want to pay for the damage i actually caused. I have an independent witness also if need be, who was going to help me start my car using his car battery. There was no one else around at the time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by RattyRyan on 04/08/2010 at 23:03

Help please with bump in work car park...girl claiming more damage than i caused. - bathtub tom

>>When i pushed it back my abs wouldnt work as the engine was off so no brakes.

Sorry, if you use non-factual statements like that you'll receive little sympathy. Your brakes will work whether or not the engine's running!

A photo at the time would've been invaluable, but it sounds like you've got an independent witness - call her bluff!

Edited by bathtub tom on 04/08/2010 at 23:44

Help please with bump in work car park...girl claiming more damage than i caused. - RattyRyan

ah well thats what i thought the reason was. in any case i was being pushed backwards and my brakes werent working or not very well. and my handbrake i pulled up too late or that also doesnt work. i was being pushed by the person who was going to help me jump start my car. it was a calamity or errors all round tbh.

i took pics after i finished work today of the dent. so what should i do now ?

Help please with bump in work car park...girl claiming more damage than i caused. - LucyBC

Ideally you should have taken pictures at the time of impact so you could show where the damage was. Take a photo of the damage you admit and also for the additional damage she is claiming - particularly showing the other paint colour.

You are only responsible for the damage you caused not for any other damage and if it could not have been caused by you or shows a different paint colour any loss adjuster would recgonise this and will disallow the claim.

As to the amount being charged she cannot demand to have her car fixed by a particular repairer. She is under a duty to mitigate your losses and you have no responsibility to pay for any more than the damage you caused. So insist that she provides 3 independent written quotations which are to repair only the damage you agree to and admit you caused.

If there continues to be a dispute over the damage caused be resolute state that you do not agree with her and will seek to resolve the issue in court if necessary.