What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
White line fever - Slice
Interesting story in today\'s www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002...l about an experiment in reverse psychology conducted by Wiltshire County Council. Apparently, whenever stretches of road are resurfaced the white lines in the centre of the road will not be repainted. The claim is that this creates a feeling of \"uncertainty\" in drivers and makes them more cautious.

I can\'t decide whether this is a smart move or not. Any views?

In a (probably) unrelated move, my local authority recently resurfaced a 50-60 yard stretch of a street on my way to work. The street in question runs dead straight for about half a mile and, for as long as I\'ve been using it, has had no central white line along its entire length. It has now though - at least over the 50 yard length of the resurfaced area.
White line fever - Slice
Drat! The link doesn\'t work. The story is over on the DT site, though, honest.

[as if by magic, a moderator appeared......

The link works now. Mark]
White line fever - BrianW
Yep, it takes away the sense of "ownership" of your side of the road.

And offsets the false sense of invulnerability induced by seat belts, airbags, disc brakes, crumple zones and whatnot.
White line fever - GJD
I'll have to find one or two of them when I'm next in that part of the world. As with most of the quotes in the report, I'm not sure if it's good or not without seeing it. The only thing that occurs immediately is that if the remove the white lines around any hazards, you'll lose the longer dashes that indicate something is about to happen.
White line fever - Macker
I live in this area and have the following ideas on the reasons:

1. They are trying to save money on paint

2. Local Government is so politically correct that they have stopped using 'white' paint on roads

3. Following a cost cutting drive Bert the line painter has been made redundant and his graduate replacement doesn't know how to calculate where the centre of the road is!

4. They forgot (most likely)

On a serious note....it does work. Most people slow down....I think it works on the basis that:

Put in a white dotted line and people will 'tear along it!'

White line fever - Tom Shaw
Good to see an authority prepared to experiment rather than just follow the PC fashion of not only putting lines everywhere, but inventing a few markings of their own as well.

Personally, apart from areas where lines are needed for other reasons, solid whites, hazard lines etc, I have never seen the point of a centre line anyway.

White line fever - Ian Cook
Apparently, the scheme was trialled in Holland - and was successful.

Ian Cook
White line fever - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

Just wait for thick fog............
White line fever - Dwight Van Driver
It used to be a ruling of DoT that roads under a certain width, IIRC 12 ft did not get painted.
That is why many country roads (those with hedges and other green stuff either side)are devoid of paint.

DVD
White line fever - Phil I
A350 south of Melksham was resurfaced in Feb.02 without the centre line through the 30limit area up to the start of 40limit.
Theres been a perceptable slowing of traffic along this stretch of a very busy road. Have also noticed people overtaking cyclists giving much wider berth than normal.

Happy Motoring Phil I
White line fever - GJD
Have also noticed people overtaking cyclists
giving much wider berth than normal.

That's a good point Phil. I can't believe the number of people who will pass cyclists, or parked vehicles that could be obscuring pedestrains, ridiculously close just because they feel they must stay on the 'correct' side of the white line, as if crossing the line is a greater sin than injuring somebody - or worse. Remove the white line and you remove the irrational obsession with not crossing it.

White line fever - Toad, of Toad Hall.
The white line is a good indication of where the road is going to go at night and in fog.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
White line fever - GJD
The white line is a good indication of where the road
is going to go at night and in fog.

These are all (except 1) 30mph zones apparently, so presumably have streetlights. It's a different idea and it's got to be worth a try. You can't find out what the actual effect is unless you experiment. If it doesn't work, *hopefully* they will put the lines back.
White line fever - Toad, of Toad Hall.
>> The white line is a good indication of where the
road
>> is going to go at night and in fog.
These are all (except 1) 30mph zones apparently, so presumably have
streetlights. It's a different idea and it's got to be worth
a try. You can't find out what the actual effect is
unless you experiment. If it doesn't work, *hopefully* they will put
the lines back.

All good points. I was just throwing it in the air to see where it landed.

I agree with the idea.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
White line fever - Ian Cook
I've just thought of an "enhancement" to formula 1. How about white lines on the track - and a Michael Schummacher lane. It could then have "give way" signs at chicanes.
;-)

Ian Cook
White line fever - Nortones2
i believe the other successful Dutch experiment was to cease the use of traffic lights. Apparently has a marked effect on driver behaviour. can't take anything for granted, theerfore proceed with caution.
White line fever - Baskerville
Around here (Lancashire) they have been planting shrubs on central reservations near roundabouts, to block sight lines on the approach. The aim of this is to make drivers slow down and check properly that nothing is on the roundabout before going on to it. It sounds daft, but it works. Another thing I've heard is that removing raised pavements and making the pedestrian area a different colour or texture instead makes pedestrians and drivers much more aware, and wary, of each other.
White line fever - Slice
It will be interesting to see any statistics that WCC might be keeping on the effects of this experiment in terms of accident numbers and any change in average speeds. If it works, it has to be cheaper than another more widespread method currently in use, whose name I will not mention.
White line fever - GJD
Around here (Lancashire) they have been planting shrubs on central reservations
near roundabouts, to block sight lines on the approach. The aim
of this is to make drivers slow down and check properly
that nothing is on the roundabout before going on to it.
It sounds daft, but it works.

Sounds daft because it is daft. And irresponsible. And defeats the object of roundabouts. If I wanted to make it easier for drivers to check what was happening on the approach to a roundabout, I would enhance visibility of the whole roundabout in every direction as much as possible. Which includes removing trees and art from the middle. The more you can see on the roundabout and approaching on other roads as you approach on yours, the easier it is to plan your arrival to filter in to the traffic pattern.

A safe, alert, concentrating, responsible driver (of which there are not enough) will slow down and adapt their driving to the reduced visibility with no problem. But how can you justify reducing the amout of information available to help a driver make the right decision.
White line fever - Clear Spot
I guess the idea is to slow traffic down sufficiently to be able to negotiate the roundabout safely, and stop safely should an obstruction be encountered. This does seem high risk, maybe works for some ? is their any proof that it works -Chris?
We have lots of (high speed) roundabouts in Milton Keynes and plenty greenery obscuring vision, doesn?t seem to stop the high speed ?motor cycle display team? way in which most negotiate them.
White line fever - GJD
We have lots of (high speed) roundabouts in Milton Keynes and
plenty greenery obscuring vision, doesn’t seem to stop the high speed
‘motor cycle display team’ way in which most negotiate them.

Which is precisely the point. A safe, responsible and generally 'good' driver (the type we all think we are more than we probably actually are) will properly negotiate a roundabout with any level of visibilty on the approach. The rest of them (rest of us) need all the help they (we) can get. Even with the best of intentions, the more you can see what's going on, the less opportunity there is for a sub-conscious assumption that leads to an accident.
White line fever - Baskerville
I have no figures, but my experience is this. The road in question is a moderately busy dual carriageway, with the roundabout having four exits, including the main dualled road. The two minor exits take you to villages, so they are also quite busy. Until they did this it was extremely nervewracking turning right, because the traffic didn't slow down. It was very common to see tyre smoke as drivers spotted you were going to cross their path, and of course right-turners held up traffic on the roundabout rather than throw themselves in front of the oncoming vehicles. Turning right is a breeze now, because everyone stops and has a good look. The laws of physics don't apply to motorcyclists, of course, but it may be that they can see over the obstruction.
White line fever - tone
I thought this was to increase congestion, eg free flowing traffic can see nothings coming round the island, so carry on with caution. Traffic that has to slow to a stop so they can see around the island, soon enough you've got a queue of traffic. Then the council can come in and charge for congestion.
White line fever - volvod5_dude
Sounds extremely unsafe. Its very easy for drivers to become confused in fog, thats where catseyes and white lines become a lifeline. I thought the councils had some duty of care regarding road safety!
White line fever - FFX-DM
"Remove the white line and you remove the irrational obsession with not crossing it"

Ho ho, irrational obsession with not crossing it? Not on the roads I drive on. There is an almost total disregard for the white line, especially when cornering, to the extent that on several blind bends on my route to work I now ASSUME that I will meet some selfish so-and-so half way across the line and take avoiding action in advance.

Would removing the line make people cautious? You would think that people would be naturally cautious on a blind bend on a busy road. I suspect that the good drivers will be affected and the ****ers will drive with the same carefree disregard as ever.

At least with a white line one can apportion blame on insurance claims more clearly!