What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - terry60

Hi. In saturdays Telegraph Motorpoint are selling Chev/Epica,s brand new for £9.999.

This model is not listed on the chevrolet webb site. Is it discotinued and if so is it sold

in any other country . Has any one owned one .Are parts available etc.

Any owners out there. Thanks T Roberts

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - Collos25

Its certainly available in Germany and across mainland Europe its new model a lot of car for little money residuals will not be as good as mainstream models but if you want a car of that size with excellent service facities every opel,vauxhall garage.

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - Vitesse6

Road test here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/chevrolet/epica-2008/

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - Vauxpop

I drove one for a while and found it very roomy and comfortable.

It has been withdrawn from UK sale due to the diesel variant being withdrawn IIRC.

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - Collos25

Not according to Chevrolet UK it has not been withdrawn infact they say are expecting big things and they are available to order as and when you like.Doesn't sound like a obselete car to me.Full spec on Chevrolet uk's web site.

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with Chrysler /Dodge which are being withdrawn from sale in the UK or Chevrolets Cadillac.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 03/08/2010 at 18:29

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - primeradriver

Well Parkers seem to think it has been withdrawn.

In answer to the original question, it's just a GM at the end of the day and Daewoo's build quality has been good for a while. I can't see it being massively problematic to maintain.

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - terry60

Hi. Thanks to all who posted a reply, I have done some digging and found

the max towing weight is only 1200 kg. This is a rather low figure as i some times pull a caravan. Thanks again. Terry

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - daveyK_UK

Its a cracking buy for under £10k

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - oldroverboy

Just bought 2009 Epica 2.0ls vcdi (diesel) for £6745 net ex chevrolet car, from a main dealer, still got 4 years warranty was supagarded at new, (paint protection) lots of car for the money, have done 800 miles in 2 weeks 44mpg. check tyre pressures ok. £2000 less than Hyundai I30 from car supermarket, and got full dealer backup!

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - oldroverboy

Further to my previous post, followed Honest John's advice, got tracking checked 2 days after purchase regarding steering feel. National tyres checked it for free, was within tolerances, but advised tyres all at 25psi, (Not checked before delivery?) so steering markedly improved with correct tyre pressures. What was not so nice was that the selling dealer (Pentagon) failed to spot an oil leak from the oil filter pipe to oil cooler, known fault at chevrolet, air con needs to be done, known fault, is a field recall. drivers mirror switch and mirror replaced under warranty also (missed also on pre delivery check). Wondering about Korean Chevrolet quality now, but main dealer service at FRF Swansea has been impeccable. (must add that Pentagon have been very apologetic and contrite and are dealing with the points I have raised) Otherwise now have done 2000 miles in 4 weeks, mostly dual carriageway getting good 40mpg average over those 2000 miles. Also really like the automatic headlights which come on when light levels fall and also the cruise control and 1 touch up and down drivers window. boot is cavernous and it is easy for my 6'2" 100 kilos to find a comfortable driving position and to vary it a bit. also cost me a third of similiarly equipped insignia for age and equipment. No need to worry about depreciation for a while!

So at the end of the day, Yes it is a good car for what I paid for it in terms of comfort and fuel economy.

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - asset
I bought one as cheap car to use as a taxi and full leather/PU seats are easy to maintain. I drove this car everyday for over a year and covered over 57K. Not without problems even unnder a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Have had sensor problems in the hubs which were both changed, I had 3 new hubs in all. CV gaitors replaced every 15K. Pads front 18K and back 30K. Lots of problems with cv joints (both replaced) cv ends also replaced searately. These are still problematic. Around town 23mpg and 40 on motorway. MIL on now and again, car does not like supermarket / cheap diesel, I only use texaco now. Big prblem with dual mass flywheel and clutch, main dealer not interested denied anything wrong and claimed out of warranty. I had this repaired at local garage for £1500 as I was out of work while dealers had car over a week and claimed nothing wrong. Local garage identified problem immediately, it took a week for part to arrive!

Tyres were only lasting 4K on front, I now over-inflate to compensate for outer rim wear in town, maximum allowed by tyre manufacturer. Handbrake is very often requiring adjustment. Oil change is expensive as correct oil for the engine is around £50 alone.

It is a nice big car when going but beware, especially any car with a dual mass flywheel as they seem to be problematic at 60K and are very expensive!
Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - primeradriver
The mechanicals are all GM, and the Vectra/Insignia has similar issues to that you mention, especially the clutch, so not completely suprising.
Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - mondeo1306

The cars a Daewoo Tosca (Holden Epica in Aus) with a GM-VM Motori diesel

The petrol car has a straight 6 Porsche designed transverse FWD setup

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - mondeo1306

Just bought a 59 plate 2.0Vcdi with 55k miles and FSH

A few little niggles, ive done 2200 miles in 2 months at 42mpg plated as a taxi, im not expecting miracles but my 4 year old mondeo tdci was on 69k miles when bought, 4 years and 110k miles later id spent £3000 on it on top of its £4200 price tag, it had DMF/clutch/2 starters, 4 recon injectors, 3 coils...etc, etc...

Edited by mondeo1306 on 10/12/2013 at 12:23

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - oldroverboy.

Still see my old one occasionally, dealer says it was in for abs warning light, lady who bought it also replaced a mondeo, strangely enough, met the lady once and she was happy with the car.

Petrol cruze i replaced it with doing ok. had not thought of replacing with another chevrolet, and now Chevrolet quitting the market will find a budget alternative next time, maybe one size down again, MG3 tempting or similiar size, but will wait and see what comes along. Found new polo diesel 4d too small inside.

Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - Galad
According to BBC today GM is finally pulling its Chevrolet brand out of Europe. I wish I'd bet my mortgage on this outcome years ago after all the expensive press advertising by dealers and the discounts offered on new models that no one seemed to want. Must have cost a fortune.

I'm really surprised it's taken GM so long to see the writing on the wall for these cars.
Chevrolet Epica - is it worth buying - RT
According to BBC today GM is finally pulling its Chevrolet brand out of Europe.

Good old BBC, late as ever - Autocar carried that story 5 days ago!