What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy 1.9TDi T reg. VW engine - Will not go into gear. Grating Noise - Sailor

For a gouple of Months I have had an occasional rattle or metallic "clunk" noise under the gear leaver usually when changing down gears.

A few other times I have not got the car into gear on the first attempt, and so have been routinely carful to fully depress the clutch.

Recently I pulled up to a junction depressed the clutch and went from 2nd to neutral, heard the above clunk, then was unnable to engage any gear.

The clutch feels normal. I depress it fully, move the gearlever into position, and gently lift the clutch, but instead of engaging the gearbox rattles or grinds. I have tried it in each gear including reverse, and its exactly the same in each.

I'm about to investigate the gear change cables, but does anyone have any advice. Is it possible its the clutch, or does it look like the synchromesh? Has anyone had this problem?

Ford Galaxy 1.9TDi T reg. VW engine - Will not go into gear. Grating Noise - Collos25

It seems pretty obvious to me the gear box needs a coat of looking at if the selectors arms are all in one piece then the box needs to come out there is no quick solution.

Ford Galaxy 1.9TDi T reg. VW engine - Will not go into gear. Grating Noise - Sailor

Thankyou Andy, I've been hoping that its not the gearbox itself! Once I eliminate anything else I'll have to bite the bullet.

The gear cables apperar to be correct at the gearlever. I went through the adjstment process from Heynes, but they are in pretty much the same position. Still doesn't go into gear on brief test.

Plan to examine cables and linkage at gearbox end next.

So I managed to get at the gearbox end of the cables, and everything seems OK. I got someone from a local garage to come and have a look. On starting up and attempting to put it into gear he confirmed it was the gearbox. Since the car is tatty, I've got to decide whether to pay the £1K he quoted for fitting a "low milage" sh gearbox, new clutch, and timing belt kit. It seems to be snesible and good value to do all three at once as it saves on a lot of labour! ... No one out there got any advice on being skint!

Thankyou for your help. Also thanks for all the excellent posts about water in the footwells which I also need to sort out.... assuming I don't sc*** it.