What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
America - Pollution - injection doc
having just spent a month in the states touring I was astounded at just how bad the pollution levels are! in some areas the sky is just laden with pollution ! In one particular town almost every vehicle was a 4x4 on steroids & when they were parked next to a BMW X5 it made the BMW look like a dinky toy & most of there 4x4's are V8+ and 5.7 ltr upwards !!!!!
On American TV everynight in the Hotels was BP & the spill all night everynight! now I do sympathise with the spill & it should never of happened & if it did a contingency plan should of been in place BUT the American goverment approved the drilling in the first place & they still allow then to run around in 5-10 ltr 4x4's by the million. Fuel was still very cheap & whilst out there we used an SUV ( Chevey 4x4) and it was 40 dollars to fill up froma quarter!on average, so about £30.00 !! so cheap & they moan about cost of fuel! we were paying between $2.67 & $3.65 per American gallon so at the most expensive about £2.50ish for around 4 ltrs.
They are also extremly lavish with their Aircon & lighting everywhere so I still think they do their bit for global warming & then they wonder why some states have suffered a drought for 10 years
America - Pollution - captain chaos

the Americans do like their big cars with huge, lazy V8 engines though, don't they? Always have, always will. During the oil crisis in the seventies they tried downsizing and came up with the AMC Pacer (straight six engine, 3.8 litres and 19mpg) and the Mustang II, which started off with a 2.3 litre four pot. Most owners found that with power steering, air con and all the smog equipment it didn't have enough power to pull them out of the driveway. A 5 litre V8 soon followed. This engine put out a staggering 105bhp, mostly due to the anti pollution equipment. The Americans were first with unleaded fuel, catalytic converters, exhaust gas reciculation and AIR pumps way back in 1975.

Fuel is cheap compared to what we pay here but we have ridiculous levels of fuel taxation. You wouldn't want to be paying eight dollars a gallon if you were doing the kind of mileage the yanks do.

The big 4x4 SUV thing is a fashion trend, as are the pick up trucks. The same can be said in the UK. Strangely enough, whitewall tyres and wood grain effect panelling on estates never really caught on over here...

Regards,cc

America - Pollution - diddy1234

From hearing from some of the lads at work (that spend time in America), they say that it depends on where you go.

Some parts of America are seeing a change to the Honda Civic''s and Toypta Prius cars, then some other parts of America it is pure 4x4's.

I also suspect that the reason why 4x4's are so popular is that a $10,000 tax incentive (applies over a set value but can't remember what) was placed on all home grown vehicle's to stimulate its own economy (protective policies working well then).

America - Pollution - turbo11

I noticed when working in Mexico and Brazil, that they had awful pollution levels. Sky sc***ers that were visible on a Monday morning, had by Wednesday dissappeared into the murk.Only to raaappear the following weekend. In Mexico city they introduced coloured number plates, so that a certain colour was banned on a particular day from the road- ie. red plates banned on Mondays,Blue plates on a Tuesday etc.etc. Trouble was, rich people just bought two cars with different coloured plates.

America - Pollution - Mick Snutz

I've stated before on a similar thread that Americans and Obama in particular are hypocrits - happy toget rich on the fat profits of BP when they're doing well but as soon as the brown stuff hits the fan, they all want to distance themselves from it.

Whilst the spill has created localised pollution which will take decades to clear up, the Americans seem to forget they pollute massively in other ways but because it can't be seen (other than a smog over LA) they don't worry about it.

Sad really.

America - Pollution - Collos25

Not a lot of difference between the Americans and the rest of the world,having been in South America many times the middle far east Africa and Europe.In fact America is leading the way with new technology.Sau Paulo in Brasil ,any city in China or India London is one of the dirtiest cities I have ever visited considering its supposed to be in a wealthy country. I was in LA recently and apart from the size of the people it was not a lot different to any other large city.

America - Pollution - injection doc

Andy you make me smile! London is one of the dirtiest cities around ( rubbish being the worst) strange how where ever you go the Uk has by far the most rubbish laying around! especially by the sides of the road!!!!!!! & as you say Chairs have to be a lot bigger in the states!. My kids 16 & 19 found they could share a chair & still room for more!

The trouble with the UK is the people in it who drop the rubbish out of car windows whilst going along! oh it makes my blood boil & I saw a Renault Espace from Eastern Europe a short time ago empty out its entire week load of Mc Donalds wra[ppings & drink containers for a family of about 8 along a whole mile strectch of road! I was red in the face with anger! good job I wasn't in an old banger otherwise i would of rammed them! may be i should just put foreign plates on then I can do what I like!

America - Pollution - Waino

The trouble with the UK is the people in it who drop the rubbish out of car windows whilst going along!

I'll like to see gangs of prison inmates in orange overalls picking litter along the A14. One bag of litter = 10 points towards your daily food allowance!

America - Pollution - Collos25

Yes it works in the states and here in Germany .