What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Advice wanted - gedman85

Hello,

Im new to this forum. Was just looking for some advice...

Ive just graduated and (fortunately) secured a decent job.

My partner and I are driving a t reg fiesta, which is MOT'd until next year and we're going to try and keep it on the road, and we want to buy a new car. My new job involves 60-70 miles driving every day. I have some debt from University( approx 1000 overdraft), but need a car for my job, will my chances of finance be massively reduced? Or will I pay a sky-high fee?

We could afford to buy a car outright for 3500, or I could afford around 150 a month. Ideally I don't want to be paying out a lot of money every month but equally i want something reliable and economical that isn't a total banger!!

I was wondering what you would go for in my situation...

All help gratefully received!

Ford Fiesta - Advice wanted - Avant

I'm going to adapt something I've just said on another thread, so I hope it may be helpful to you too.

The lower your budget, the more it's true to say that condition matters more than make and model.

But if you want a more specific suggestion , you could look at another Ford Fiesta or a Focus, or VW Polo or Golf (as there are lots around), but personally for around £3,000 I'd look at a Toyota Yaris or Corolla. Nissan Micra or Almera are just as reliable, but the Toyotas are a little better to drive if you go for the larger engine option (1.3 Yaris, 1.6 Corolla).

I should add the old-shape Honda Civic as another good, reliable car to look at.

Edited by Avant on 21/07/2010 at 22:41

Ford Fiesta - Advice wanted - bonzo dog

£150 per month over 36 months gets you between £4,000 & £4,500 depending on the interest rate.. You say it's payment OR £3,500 but if you have some cash I would be tempted to put £1500 deposit & for £150 per month get yourself a 2 year old Kia Picanto (if you can get one sub 18 months old & on the Approved scheme you get a 3 year waranty & 24 months RAC included)

The way finance works in the car trade is that the newer the car, the better the rate. But check the banks as to how much they will charge.

As a young (??) graduate, finance will not be freely available but your circumstances will dictate. Have you just graduated as a medic? or an engineer?or with a law degree. Or perhaps a teacher with a guaranteed job for life (unless you get too friendly with the pupils!). If so your chances of finance are pretty good. On the other hand (& I'm being realistic not insulting) if you've graduated in drama or business studies & have a job in a supermarket, the chances of finance are slim.

Good luck