2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v - Leaking Head Gasket? - drjekyll

Hi, have suspected this for a while now but would appreciate your opinions and experience. It's the Z12XEP engine by the way, chain driven.

Hi, bought the car beginning of June and noticed a very very small amount of creamy oil under the filler cap, did some long runs in the car and sure enough the problem went away (I do about 15 miles each way to work and back every day). Most of the time the temp gauge sits ever so slightly below the middle mark, but it does seem to easy to push it above. 2-3 mins or so of idling in trafffic or say a minute of driving uphill doing 30 will cause it to go over the middle mark and it will keep rising until the fan comes on if idling. Is this normal behavior for these engines? As I recall having one a few years back and the temp gauge never fluctuated this much, especially going over 90C when driving along. Also some slight hesitation when accelerating on cold start in the morning. Funny thing is it doesn't use a drop of coolant, can't see a film of oil in the header tank, can't really check if the oil level is going up as the last muppet filled it above the max mark on the last service but oil in the sump is not creamy at all. I'm aware of other issues with this car (cue the typical GM c*** remarks) but not head gaskets. Just wanted to catch it before it does any lasting damage. Thanks in advance for your time and sorry for the essay!

2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v - Leaking Head Gasket? - 1litregolfeater

Bit of mayo is quite normal with the small corsa engines on short journeys. They have a weird double skinned plastic rocker cover that encourages it. Seeing the useage the cars are destined for, one can only wonder at the manufacturer's motives.

2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v - Leaking Head Gasket? - Peter D

The mayo sounds like it had some short runs. How far up does the temp go. It really should not move more than 5 degrees or so. i would suspect a sticking thermostat. Regards Peter

2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v - Leaking Head Gasket? - Peter.N.

Doesn't sound like gasket trouble to me. Contrary to popular belief a failing head gasket does not in itself cause the engine to overheat, what it does is to blow the water out through the overflow - then it overheats. Could just be the characteristics of the engine or perhaps it needs a new radiator.

2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v - Leaking Head Gasket? - corsagirl2010
This hapned to me but my car became v hot fan kicked in and car cut off only yesterday evening! Rung RAC came out n checked car sed it was fine took an hour half for them to get there! I was worried it was head gasket my car got platinum cover from dealership but I goter pay 70 quid for a diagnostic I'm scared incase I get stuck somewhere or even worst I damage my car! Going in on monday I will keep u posted but a temp shud not go over 90 mine went 150 n that was at 30mph!