What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2002 focus 1.6 zetec - ford focus burning smell - gadgee

Can anyone assist with an occasional problem with my 2002 1.6 Focus zetec. The car has covered 125000 and usually runs perfectly but just lately the steering wheel sometimes wobbles at 50mph plus and after stopping there is a strange almost burning smell around the car. This cannot be smelt from inside. The car seems to otherwise drive ok whilst this is happening. I have smelt burnt clutches before and the smell is possibly similar but not identical. Would a worn clutch cause vibration through the steering wheel? The exhaust and catalyst were recently replaced so I know how a duff catalyst smells, its not that.

Edited by gadgee on 02/07/2010 at 21:24

2002 focus 1.6 zetec - ford focus burning smell - Peter D

Check the front brake discs for the smell as you have have a stiff/seized cylinder. Regards Peter

Thanks. Just did a few hundred miles and nothing happened. Thought the car would not accelerate so well with a seizure like that - cannot see any difference in performance.

Thanks PeterD

Just had one of the front brake calipers replaced and the other examined/cleaned up for £105 inclusive. Problem solved.

2002 focus 1.6 zetec - ford focus burning smell - Peter D

Your welcome. Regards Peter