What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - mouton

Hello,

Is there any reason why you'd put different size wheels on a simple Ford Focus? I've just had mine serviced and the mechanic noticed the disparity. Front wheels are smaller than the rear ones but the previous owner would have had this done and I've no idea why (175/65/14 vs 175/70/14)!

Can it affect fuel economy, mileage or performance?

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - Peter D

Look in the handbook I suspect the rears are the wrong size at 70 profile. Regards Peter

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - Collos25

He probably bought them cheap and yes it would effect the car .

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - Roly93

These should all be 65 profile, the 70 profile are a larger effective diameter, and would give a wrong speedo reading if on the front.

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - mouton

The plot thickens. I got a flat and had to replace one of the front 65s. So I decided to have 70s put on both the front wheels (as demanded in handbook). Took it to a well-known chain and they said that both the rims on the front were from a Peugeot (no idea what model)!!

The spare tyre had a Ford rim so they put a new 70 on that, stuck it on the nearside front. They left the 65 Peugeot on the offside front but refused to fit the newly 70'd Peugeot.

So, after £95 and some (boyfriend) sweat, I now have two different rims on the front of the car but they have matching 175/70 tyres. The offset looks pretty much the same and they bolt on securely. But judging from tyre-fitter's reaction this cannot be good!

If I pick up a Ford rim from a scrapyard could someone transfer my nice new tyre onto it? How much is this likely to cost? Have you ever heard of someone putting entirely different make wheels on a car?

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - davmal

Around 15 quid at a backstreet tyre shop.

Could be the old fronts were replacements, maybe pothole damage etc. The size difference between front and back was neligible, similar to having new tyres on the back and old ones on the front.

Just an update - wheel replaced with one found at a scrapyard, then got a nice man to swap the tyres over.

Now have matching wheels! £12 for the tyre swap, £20 for the steel rim.
2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - Peter D

I suspect you have effected the speedo reading. The car should have 65 profile tyres and you have chosen 70's. Regards Peter

2000 Ford Focus CL MK1 (hatch) - Why have different front and rear tyre sizes? - Collos25

I suppose its better having four the same size but as Peter rightly says you now have four non standard tyres.