What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - eustace

Hi,

I am looking at the SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport as a potential used buy (a 5-6 year old, 2004 - 2005 model).

I am getting mixed messages about its handling and reliability.

1) Handling.

What Car website has a very poor opinion on its handling. Their comment is:- Poor body control, soggy handling, dull steering and an unsettled ride mar the drive

However HJ's CBCB is fairly positive about the ride and handling.

2) Reliability

The German TÜV reports paint a good picture regarding its reliability, and it is consistently rated it higher than the Ford Focus.

However the uk reliabilityindex website gives a poorer report about this car.

Also comments on this forum are more -ive than +ive, with general feedback indicating that their reliability is on par with Renaults and that the AA men are very familiar with attending this car.

Also HJ's CBCB on the Vectra states that even the petrol vectra's have Dual Mass Flywheels. Any idea if petrol Saabs have DMFs?

Please could you provide your experiences with this car.

If not for the Saab, my other choice would be a Toyota Avensis 1.8 vvt-i, which is priced similarly. I understand that the Avensis would be more reliable than the Saab. However the criticism of the 1.8 Avensis (2005 model) is that it is quite sluggish and not great fun to drive, in terms of its cornering, handling etc. Also the Avensis has the risk of the high oil consumption problem, but I understand that it was sorted in the later models.

I also noticed that the Saab 9-3 1.8T (with a 2 litre engine) is on paper more economical (mpg wise) than the 2.0 petrol avensis.

The other reason that I like the Saab is that its a bit more uncommon than the Avensis.

What I am looking for in a car is Safety, Reliability, Fuel Efficiency and handling in that order.

In terms of Safety, I think both cars are on par. But I would appreciate any feedback regarding reliability and handling, particulalry about the Saab.

Thanks for reading and apologies regarding the length of the post. :-)

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - eustace

P.S.:- I would probably want to keep the car for 5-6 years, if it proves reliable.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Collos25

If you buy a saab you would be better buying one after the model change 2006/7 before that they were full of niggling faults.I am running a 2007 1.9tid estate at the moment and it is very good it has sat nav and all the toys.Any vehicle more than 5 years old is dependant on its previous owner.I would not be worried about the clutch or flywheel ,saab's are vectras under the skin I suggest you look at the saab forums.Toyota has had terrible problems with the 1.8 petrol engine and would run a million miles before I bought a 1.8 petrol .But you pays your money and takes your chance.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Collos25

If you buy a saab you would be better buying one after the model change 2006/7 before that they were full of niggling faults.I am running a 2007 1.9tid estate at the moment and it is very good it has sat nav and all the toys.Any vehicle more than 5 years old is dependant on its previous owner.I would not be worried about the clutch or flywheel ,saab's are vectras under the skin I suggest you look at the saab forums.Toyota has had terrible problems with the 1.8 petrol engine and would run a million miles before I bought a 1.8 petrol .But you pays your money and takes your chance.

Thanks for your feedback, Andy.

How is the handling of the Saab, particularly in terms of cornering and driving on winding country roads? As you can see from my post the opinions about the Saabs handling seem to vary widely.

By the problems with the 1.8 vvt-i toyota engine, are you referring to thew oil consumption problem, or are there others besides? If its the oil consumption problem, HJ's CBCB sems to indicate that this seems to have been sorted out in the later models.

The Saab handles very well but I am no rally driver it is as a diesel very economical I traverse Europe many times a year and it averages around 52mpg it has 15" wheels which make it quiet and comfortable.As I have said the early models have lots of niggling faults but nothing major.The Toyota on the other hand in 1.8 petrol trim are a nightmare with Toyota not willing to regonise the problem(see above topic)the engines had not improved by 2007, friend tried to run one as a taxi from new in Germany lasted 3 months and went back to Mercedes he had so much trouble,Toyota are not all they are cracked upto to be pick ups in Africa last for ever thats their forte.For my next car I will go back to Mercedes they really do have the edge on anything else in my opinion.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 17/06/2010 at 12:39

Andy, which is the "above topic" you are referiing to. If you are referring to the oil consumption problem, I understand that it happens only after 4-5 years and 40 - 50,000 miles. If this is the same problem your friend in Germany had, it is surprising that he had the problem on a new car within 3 months. Or is it some other problem you are referring to?

Hi Andy,

What were the type of faults that affected the pre-2006 models? Did they affect the petrol models as well? The post '56 models, are out of my price range.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - trevob

Avensis 1.8 VVti - I've owned my 53 plate T3x for 3 years and in that time have taken the mileage from 48000 to 122000.

Yes, I had the oil usage problem at 90k but Toyota sorted that (out of warranty early 2009) and since then I havent had any major problems - touch wood.

I drive it pretty much every day, 100 miles a day commute mixed roads and it is comfy, well specced and frugal (40 mpg).

However, it is slow, even if you can put all your mechanical sympathy to one side and rev the cackers of it (6000rpm plus a breeze), I would have thought the Saab is a lot different to drive - the Avensis is no sports car, it's a bit soft for that - but you get the benefit of not feeling every bump.

Toyota servicing at my local main dealer (Lindop, Wrexham) - is relatively cheap (£80 for a minor 10k, £180 ish for a major 20k). You've also the advantage of a timing chain rather than (presumably on the 9-3) cambelt.

Having said all that - would I buy another? Maybe - although I'd probably go diesel due to my high mileage and quite fancy the 2.2 D4D T180 Estate.....

Hope this is helpful.

thanks trevob, that was helpful.

The 40 mpg consumption sounds good. Do you know what the consumption is on motorway driving at 75 mph, as most of my commute is on the motorway?

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

Dropping the idea of the Saab, because even the petrol one has a DMF.

Think I will go with either an Avensis or Maazda 6. The risk with the avensis seems to be the high oil consumption, while risk with Mazda 6 seems to be corrosion.

I will probably research a bit further and close out on one of these.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - pd
Fairly sure the Avensis petrol has a DMF - the diesel certainly does. Most cars do - it is rare to find one without on a car in this class. They are known for giving trouble on the Vectra and 93 diesels but haven't heard much feedback on the petrols.

93's handle very well in my opinion - very neutral and generally flat through corners. They don't drive like a BMW but why should they.

If you fancy the Saab you should also look at the Volvo S60, better quality car which doesn't feel like a GM accountant has attacked it.

Avensis is OK although a Mondeo is probably better.

Thanks PD,

I am actually looking for a car that has a 4 or 5 star Euro NCAP rating, ESP, decent reliability and fuel economy and costs around £5K.

The NCAP scores for the Mondeo was pretty poor and there were comments around structural instability. That is why I did not seriously consider it.

I was initially thinking of a focus, but focii with ESP are being quoted at 5K+ and at that price, the Avensis / mazda 6 / 9-3 class made more sense.

I bet there are more old Vectras and Mondeos about than Avensis.Regarding my friends Toyota Avensis taxi his comment just know was wan't did go wrong I think it was mainly engine problems nothing major but consistantly taking the car of the road.They did a special lease deal to try and get into the German taxi market but you will rarely see one today as they could not stand up to the work like the Mercedes with taxi build.These vehicles are not changed till they have done 1000000km.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - pd

Thanks PD,

I am actually looking for a car that has a 4 or 5 star Euro NCAP rating, ESP, decent reliability and fuel economy and costs around £5K.

04 model year (1st to get ESP as standard) S60 D5 SE manual would be top of my list to meet that criteria.

Avensis is a fine car, just a bit boring and if you're concerned about handling it isn't exactly fun to drive - very competent but not fun. Accord should also probably be on your list.

I have actually ruled out diesels due to advice from backroomers regarding potentially expensive problems, particulalrly the DMF.

The Accords with ESP start at 6K. Couldn't justify the price differences when I can get a post 2005 Avensis for 4K.

I think that answers youir own question Avensis's are not liked by dealers because of their ability to go wrong and cost a fortune where as the Accord will probably outlive you.

The Avensis consistently out performs the Accord in the German TUV quality rankings.

Also in the UK, a large number of taxi drivers seem to use the Avensis, which indicates a fair degree of reliability.

If I knew that the price difference with the Accord was purely because of the quality, I wouldn't mind spending the premium. But I am not sure how much of the premium is for snob value.

Also HJ's comments on the Honda Jazz is that they age pretty bady and deteriorate after 7 years. Also Honda did not galvanise the earlier Civics and gave only a 6 year corrosion warranty, when other manufacturers were offering 12. Hence I am a bit dubious about the supposed quality of the hondas. But I may be wrong, as I hav never owned either of these cars before.

Incidentally my family in India owned a Hindustan Ambassador (built based on the Morris Oxford) and ran it for over 45 years. 1963 - 2008. It finally had to be sold due to disuse, but was still running. :-)

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - SteveLee

If I were spending £5 on a saloon the Accord would be top of my list, it looks classy, it's reliable, handles well and is reliable. The Mondeo is probably a slightly better car (the best in its class for the dosh) but the Accord is a little bit different - which is nice. The Avensis does everything well but is dull.

I had extensive use of a 03 Accord s-type (2.4) it was a cracker but a bit firmly sprung for me around town but smoothed out on the motorway. The softer executive would have been my choice.

I've just read HJ's CBCB about the Accord again.

The ESP unit on the Accord apparently suffers the same problem as the VW/Audi/Mazda 3, etc.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - SteveLee
There's no such thing as a fault free car, nothing went wrong with my mate's hard-driven 03 Accord in three years. Although the dealer did try to change the perfectly servicable rear discs and pads twice for "corrosion", just surface rust as the car had been driven unladen and left unused occasionally. Nothing a quick emergency stop or two (in reverse in a deserted car park) won't cure.

Yes. Did your friend's model have ESP? I wanted a model with ESP, and this particular ESP issue is supposed to be fairly rampant on the affected models.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - corax

SteveLee

How did you find the seat comfort in the Accord? I've heard the seats are very good. I've driven the earlier shape which I thought was much better than it's bland looks suggested. I'm thinking about the 03-08 Accord as a replacement for my car at some point. How quiet on the motorway, and is there anything else you liked about it? I would probably go for the 2.0L as the 2.4 looks a bit thirsty.

You won't find a car which doesn't have some inherent weakness - they all have a "they all do that eventually" feature somewhere.

I really wouldn't get too caught up in the whole DMF issue - nearly all larger cars have them, petrol or diesel. The ones you here about are the poorly designed or faulty ones - the ones in cars which do not go wrong it can be hard to find out if it has DMF or not becuase no one has ever replaced one.

Worst case it adds £300 on a clutch change - more like £120-£150 on most cars.

If you buy a 5 year old car and run it for 5 years something will go at some point unless you mothball it.

FWIW I'd rate the Accord over the Avensis.

The Avensis is a good workhorse which does few things badly but they never feel special or remotely inspiring to drive or own.

TBH, I am actually leaning towards the Avensis at the momment. I'd rather have a trouble free motoring experience and use the money save towards something truly inspiring. Like sailing or even flying lessons, IMHO :-)

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - corax

We have an Avensis 1.8 petrol. It's built like a tank, does 40mpg average, has an enormous boot. It's insurance group 7, presumably down to the 5 star NCAP. The only thing that has gone wrong in 3 years is the electric fuel release flap. It's an 03 model, and uses no oil between services. It's done about 70000 miles. It's not a drivers car, but it's very good at bowling up and down the motorway with no hassle. The controls are very light.

I don't understand previous comments about them being troublesome and unreliable, it's nonsense. The car must have been a lemon. There are loads of Avensis being used as taxis in my area. If you just want a car that gets you from A to B at reasonable cost and comfort, then I'd recommend one. I think you'd be much happier with an Avensis than a Saab 9-3, if it's a choice between those two, given your priorities. Just make sure it has full service history and buy from 04 onwards to be on the safe side as the oil consumption problem affected cars up to '03.

I was using the Accord for 120 mile round trips (London/Leeds) I found the driver's seat to be very comfortable and supportive, the owner thought it put pressure on his thigh, I suppose there's no such thing as a perfect seat! I'm 6'2" he was 5'11". It was exceptionally good on the motorway, the slightly fidgety ride at low speeds completely disappeared at motorway speeds smoothing out beautifully - almost being a match for my Jag XJ8 at the time. The car really did work as a back road scratcher and a high speed cruiser. The traction control was rubbish needing care when pulling away in the wet which was the car's only real fault. Friends/family commented on how nice the car looked (in Silver) it's a classy, premium looking, car for Mondeo money.

To the thread originator - why the obsession with ESP? On stumpy town cars it's a life saver but with longer wheelbase cars I can't see the appeal. All it seems to do is neutralise midcorner understeer - which the driver could do with the correct articulation of the throttle.

>>I was using the Accord for 120 mile round trips

Thanks for the info Steve, sounds good.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - trevob

Hi again

Sorry about the delay, I had a 200 mile motorway trip on Saturday so thought I would help out!

The trip was 90% motorway at 75-85mph and fuel consumption...........39 mpg.

It really is a good car - dont be put off by the current media furore.

Cheers

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Avant

Given your priorities, you could add the Volvo S60 to your list. There are quite a lot of examples of trouble-free high-mileage examples of these, and safety and comfort are strengths as well.

If you go Japanese, stick to petrol and my choice would be between the Honda Accord and Mazda 6.

One more to think about - Skoda Octavia 1.8T.

Avant, thanks for your comment.

S60 - Petrol gives quite poor economy. Don't want to risk the reliability issues of diesel such as DMF failure, etc (unequivocal advice on earlier post, from backroomers). My annual mileage would be around 15000 miles, i think.

According to HJ's CBCB, both the Accord and the Skoda suffers from the ESP problems afflicting the Golf and the other VAG group cars. Hence potentially expensive pitfall.

Mazda6 -> serious corrosion issues, particularly reported in US and Canada, and I am looking to keep the car for long term. Am not able to find any information which supports whether this problem has been resolved on later models. I have actually started another thread on that.

That leaves the Avensis as the next best alternative. I know of the oil consumption problem, but the feedback seems to be that was restricted to the earlier models.

Do let me know if you think any of the above logic is incorrect, or if I should consider any other cars.

Honesty, you won't find a car which hasn't got some generic fault with a forum somewhere full of people moaning about it.

I have known clutches and DMF's go early on Avensis (Avensi?) but not often. The water pumps are also prone to leaking on some diesel which is a very expensive job, again, not often.

All of the Accords, Avensis, S60's etc. are good, reliable cars. They go wrong sometimes but that is why used cars are cheaper than new ones. You can't buy something for 35% or less of its new price and expect it to be as good as new.

As far as the S60 DMF is concerned - took a clutch out on a 160k example a couple of weeks back and the DMF was as good as new.

Clutch life on most cars is very good - some fail early but far more "fail" because an idiot previously drove them. You can't predict this, it's just an accepted risk of a used car. If you want absolute assurance of cost free motoring you really should be buying new with a long warranty and maintenance plan.

Thanks pd, it's just that I probably wont describe myself as the most sympathetic driver, mechanically. Hence I want a well built car, which can take some punishment if necessary.

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of too many DMF failures on petrol cars, DMF was primarily to reduce excessive vibration from diesel engines, I don't know why they made their way onto petrols, however I think petrol engines are much kinder to clutches, therefore DMF failures seem to be rare with petrols. I'm happy to be proved wrong and I'm sure there have been failures but not in anything like the same sort of numbers.

Obviously I'm ignoring the twin clutch paddle shift type thingies which were problematic on most caras when they first appeared.

SteveLee, thanks for your comments.

From HJ's CBCB, the Astra petrol also apparently encounters dmf failures.

Obsession with ESP? - If the govt thinks its important enought to make it mandatory from 2012, why not be proactive and get it now! :-)

DMF's have been on petrol cars for decades. Some cars from the 1980's have them. They are not a new thing.

The vast majority of cars it is difficult to find of they are fitted without looking at a parts catalogue because they rarely fail so no one mentions them.

Some manufacturers fitted some cheap, duff units (mainly GM and Ford but others as well) on some models and they suddenly became an issue. The overall issue is with poor design and poor quality: DMF's are not inherently unreliable.

Added to that, on most cars these days, clutch replacement has become a major job with labour of 5-6 hours or more on many common cars.

If the DMF needs replacing at clutch replacement time then it is not a significant extra cost - the issue is if the DMF fails before you need a new clutch because you've got big labour costs to get at it.

Unfortunately in the case of the Avensis on the early 01-03 diesels the DMF's were rubbish which meant lots of early clutch/DMF replacement but on the petrols there were just as many gearboxes going pop.......you can't win!

Thanks PD, that was helpful.

I guess I am trying to decide now between an Avensis 1.8 petrol or the post facelift Mazda 6, 2.0. I like the Mazda for its looks, its superior handling and most importantly because its got a 6th gear, which is supposed to make motorway journey far more economical (which is most of my commute).

My concern though is about potential rust problems on the Mazda. While a poster on the other thread has mentioned that he didn't have any rust issues on his 5year old Mazda which he sold, he generally buys his car from new and seems to be selling it around 5 years.

I intend to buy a 5 year old car and hopefully keep it for 5 years. Hence I am not sure if the Mazda 6 is the right choice from this perspective. Any information on the rust issues on the Mazda? Have they been resolved on the post facelift (2006) models?

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Trollhattan

I own a 2007 1.8t Vector Sport Sportwagon and it is fantastic, my first SAAB, I've had it for two years and the only trouble has been with the Sat Nav disc which SAAB replaced.

There is a simple rule with 9-3s, diesel if it's a company car, petrol it it's private, the diesels have a number of reliability problems but the petrol engines run forever with a fully synthetic oil change once a year and a full service every two years or 20000 miles.

A local SAAB specialist charges £100 for a minor service, £200 for a major service.

The only other major reported problems with the 9-3 is the front springs which SAAB will often fix for free even out of warranty. I am 99% certain that only the 1.8i 1800cc engine has a DMF along with all 1.9 diesels but the 1.8t and 2.0T 2000cc engines are DMF free.

The Mazda was on my list when shopping for a car but after some consideration it was just too 'taxi driver', the Toyota is totally designed to be a taxi imo.

The 1.8t can provide 40mpg on the motorway or with a heavy foot around town 25mpg, running on 98ron gives a couple more mpg, midrange is excellent with the light pressure turbo, tyres are about £80 a corner, seats are good for 800 miles a day comfort (I did 1900 miles last week in France).

Despite non SAAB owners criticising the cars as tarted up Vectras (is your Audi a Skoda?) I have been really impressed with the it, so much so I have a new factory order convertible 9-3 ready to collect from the dealership on Fathers Day.

Don't buy a taxi, buy a car with a heart, buy the SAAB.

Edited by Trollhattan on 18/06/2010 at 23:20

Hi Trollhattan , thanks for your comments. I checked with a local Saab specialist and he told me that the 2000 cc petrol engine has DMF. Will try checking with a main dealer.

Anyway it seems a fantastic car and the dash and console are indeed remniscent of a cockpit.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Brianthebubble

would I be 'safe' in buying a a two year old Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol (previous model). Did Toyota iron out all the problems of the earlier models. Note that you do not see many 08 or 09 cars - I was interested in the saloon.

i think you should be safe, as far as engine reliability goes. I spoke to Toyota customer service and they said that the oil consumption issue was definitely sorted out in the post 2nd half 2004 models onwards.

However for all its good euro ncap safety rating, I just noticed that they have gathered some poor feedback in the child safety section.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Brianthebubble

Rohann. Wonder if the early problems affected sales of later models, which is why there does not seem to be many 08 09 models. How would compare this Avensis1.8 petrol against an 08 VW Jetta 1.4 TSi 120 and 08 Renault Sports Megane Saloon1.6?

I am not considering the later models, because my budget is around 5K.

But the Renault Megane seems to have a pretty bad reliability rating from the tuv organization surveys.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/tuv-model/renault-megane

If not for that, the Megane was a car I would definitely have considered buying as it has excellent safety ratings.

SAAB 9-3 1.8T Vector Sport vs Toyota Avensis 1.8 - feedback requested on reliability and drive - Glenn 42

Surprised no one has mentioned the Skoda Octavia, an extremely well made and competitively priced car with few reliability issues. If you are doing over 12,000 miles a year, the TDI is capable of 55 mpg and doesn't suffer from a lot of the problems on other diesels.