What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parus Major - the Great Tit - oilrag

I was reflecting on Tits and other birds this Morning while out in the garden.

Pecking around - some look like blue tits, then there are the wood pigeons coming in for a drink out of the pond.

I can still remember that distinctive taste as we ate them as kids, (woodie`s that is, not the tits)

My best mates mum was great in that area, she would cook anything we brought in, providing we had plucked (or skinned in the case of rabbits) and removed the gizzards.

Anyway, back to the point.

I was bent down to ground level out back, gasping a bit with the effort and noticed a rounded stone. Looked like quartz - as you are apt to see on a beach. Funny, that, as we are 70 miles from the sea. So maybe it`s been rounded by the sea in ages gone, when it covered this area.

It could have course have been bought in a shop in the 70`s and rounded off in one of those stone polishing machines. Remember the fad? Little motor driven tumbling machines, that you left running for days. I had one.

Ever put malachite in with quartz and ended up with just quartz and a sort of green `soup`?

You felt a Parus Major after doing that.

Edited by oilrag on 14/06/2010 at 11:31