What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
price matching advertised - wotspur

I went to buy a tv today, sunday, at a local shop - I had negotiated on leads, stand etc and the tv had been chosen - it was done this way so they couldn't bump up the price of the TV at a later date.

The one chosen was 1349+60 set up and delivery in this store - but I had found it for 1199 + 40 delivery at another store, In Glasgow admittidely - I have a friend who could set it up, but timing could be a slight issue

My local store had a notice on the door and on all their tvs about PRICE MATCH, against other stores, IT didn't specify withi not online (currys comet and John Lewis's were mentioned). When I asked them to do so, they refused to because the company were found on the internet.

Now I understand that if it was only an Internet base only this wouldn't be fair - but it is also a store - surely this is not legal - if they advertise it as a price match they should honour it

what do you think -cheers

price matching advertised - oilrag

Hi, Wotspur,

I experienced something similar (but without the Enigma Machine speaking in code ;-)

So, bought a TV from the internet - Amazon.

Edited by oilrag on 30/05/2010 at 20:07

price matching advertised - studdychris

yeah, nowadays i buy 99% of my stuff online.

Electronics and other things from Amazon, as you said. You can get clothing from all the big retailers online, plus returuning stuff is not a problem.
I just bought a watch as a birthday present for my girlfriend online through a reseller called chrono24, plus I ordered some DVDs for my friend at secondspin.com.

Man, you can even get groceries online these days! (not everywhere of course).

God bless the internet... =)

price matching advertised - jamie745

I hardly ever buy anything in high street retailers anymore. Almost everything in my house was internet bought in one way or another. Televisions in the high street retailers are overpriced, i made savings of over £100 on the ones i bought easily, i bought my Panasonic 32 inch for £329.99 online when it was £499.99 in the shops. I know people who arent too up with the internet and they are astonished when they find out how cheap stuff is, i had a friend who bought a case for his phone for £24.95 in the phone shop, he couldnt believe it when i found the same case for £3.67 on ebay, new, sealed, delivered. Clothes is another big one, i was able to get a weeks worth of clothes on the internet for the same as it'd cost for just a few items at a normal clothes shop. You can get DVD's for 4 quid, and theres so much choice, heavy competition, keeps prices down. I am a strong beleiver in the merits of the internet.

Some say its killed the high street, well i think it shows how much of a markup is on goods and the internet has been a god send to consumers in these cash strapped times. Good for the postal service though!

Edited by jamie745 on 29/05/2011 at 00:38

price matching advertised - Armitage Shanks {p}

May I draw the attention of you internet shoppers to a very useful programme called http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/ . Whenever you are shopping on line it searches in the background for other sellers of the same item. An extreme example, for me, was that it found me £99 off a £150 DVD boxed set. It doesn't cover all items or all sellers but it can be helpful and is being improved all the time. Only a little over 2 Mb too

price matching advertised - studdychris

"yeah, nowadays i buy 99% of my stuff online.

Electronics and other things from Amazon, as you said. You can get clothing from all the big retailers online, plus returuning stuff is not a problem.
I just bought a watch as a birthday present for my girlfriend online through a reseller called chrono24, plus I ordered some DVDs for my friend at secondspin.com.

Man, you can even get groceries online these days! (not everywhere of course).

God bless the internet... =)"

WOW, this invisible hand thing might bring my 99% up to 100% :)

Edited by Avant on 03/06/2011 at 00:53

price matching advertised - jamie745

I got a case for my Blackberry online for £2.65 delivered, new this week. Same case in the local phone shop? £17.95.

Nuff said.

price matching advertised - madf

Just bought a Casio watch:

Stores? £85-£110

Amazon £67

Ebay : £47.

All the same item/terms..

Mind you it was clearance sale by Argos but even so...

price matching advertised - piggy

I`m an avid on-line buyer myself, what with the nearest decent sized town being some 20mls. away. There can be a problem though. I recently had an expensive item left by my gate by the courier.He did not bother to find someone to sign for the item(a camera),it could easily have been stolen. Another item seems to have been lost in the postal system. Luckily this was a parcel of dog toys and not very expensive,but it could easily have been. It seems to be worthwhile checking if a refund or replacement can be got from the suppliers. Large savings can be made by on-line shopping,and is probably the way things will go in the next few years. Mary Portas has been given the job of halting high-street decline,but I think " Canute" and "tide" spring to mind.

price matching advertised - Manson

There's a simple reason why retail prices differ from online shops to local stores, because online shops do not include in their products prices the costs of renting the space of work, or these are very low compared to local stores rents. For the last two years I've been shopping mainly online, not only because of lower costs, but because the wider offer of products available on the Internet. I shop online for clothes, detergents and even large furniture items, such as carpets, outdoor furniture and blinds – got my roller blinds in made to measure sizes, just as I would have got them from the local store, but they were delivered right at my door steps, which is great.