Rover 214 - excessive exhaust emissions - spitfire

Help please - we keep coming back to head gasket but that is non-sensible.

We recently bought 1999 model 214i 1400 K series. It had just been given a full MOT (within 7 days) where the cat had to be replaced - proof of failure and receipt supplied with MOT.

Within about a week we noticed white smoke - thought gonna be the head gasket - bought the kit and fit everything as it should be just in case it should blow. Spark plugs were dry and clean. The gasket had slight evidence of a possible blow but no mixing of oil and water/coolant evident - the head was smooth and clean. Everything else was good - replaced all with the new kit and new coolant. cam belt good. Air filter clean and good - changed the oil and the oil filter obviously. manifold gaskets changed too.

Still got exactly the same problem - exhaust billowing when started up and constant but not hugely evident when driving. Looks white but is smelly with exhaust fumes - what to do next? Used Kseal - made no difference.

Please help.

Rover 214 - excessive exhaust emissions - bathtub tom

If something's going out of the exhaust, then something's feeding it, most likely oil or coolant. Therefore it follows that one of the fluid levels must be dropping. Which one?

Did you have the head skimmed when you changed the head gasket?

Rover 214 - excessive exhaust emissions - tony@tooting

I'd agree with the above, but the smell worries me. As the CAT has been replaced, it sounds like it could be being overloaded with fuel. This will quickly start to wreck it expecially if it is an aftermarket unit. I would suggest an emmision test ASAP. Out of interest, do you know what the gas reading were at the time of MOT failure?